Chapter 2: 1750, middle of present-day USA

Winter was setting in. Sagemho was only a tiny bit bigger, so her blanket fit her perfectly. Shieila visited Sagemho and Shimioni every day. She visited them in the morning in her Nre'coa, her night clothes. Shieila would then change and eat breakfast with her family, Shimioni, and Sagemho. Shimal didn't own any dinosaurs because she was not yet of age. Zil'Marou children became of age to own dinosaurs when they were 10. 11 year old Shieila had inherited Shimioni from her father. Shieila would give Shimioni to her first first child. Assuming she was still alive. Shieila dismissed the thought. Shimioni's family had all lived long lives. She wouldn't be an exception. I hope. No! I must not think. I must protect Sagemho with my life. After, Shieila would visit the ankylosaurus' pasture and teach Sagemho tricks. Around topsun, when the sun was at its peak, Shieila's mother would call her in to help prepare food for lunch, dinner, and tomorrow's breakfast. After lunch with the ankylosauruses, Shieila would do some sewing, dyeing, or stuffing of her new mattress. Then Shieila would have dinner and go to bed.

* * * * *

The next year in Spring, Shieila woke up earlier than usual to enjoy the clean air. In the early morning light, she spotted dark shapes flying in on the horizon. Shieila looked a little closer. Pteranodon! Shieila knew what damage Pteranodons could do. Wipe out entire tribes. Make an animal or human never walk again. Never use their arms again."Pteranodon!" Shieila yelled as loud as she could. "Pteranodons flying toward us! Pteranodon! Pteranodon!" clip clip clip. Shieila heard the ha'te clips to close themselves inside snapping. Shieila ran inside her ha'te. She took up her bone sewing needle, some thread, and began to sew. As Shieila worried about her friends, she suddenly remembered- Sagemho! "Protect her with your life" Shieila grabbed a Sa'at, safety hat, and protective gloves. Shieila, wondering if this would be the worst decision of her life or the last, unclipped her tent and ran outside. Shieila paused- where's Sagemho? Just as Shieila began to panic, she spotted Sagemho dancing around and dodging attacks by Pteranodons. It seemed like there was a strong wind blowing, but it was only the dinosaurs' wings beating. Her hair was blowing in her face as she ran towards Sagemho. "Sagemho!" Shieila cried. The wind ripped her words away, Shieila could only barely hear herself speak. Sagemho glanced over to Shieila and began galloping towards her. Shieila scooped Sagemho up and started sneakily dashing back to her ha'te. The cries of dinosaurs filled the air, as a few more Pteranodons arrived. One screech stood out from the general differences between the species. Was that... Shimioni? Shieila crept closer. Yes- Shimioni. Out of sight from Shimioni, Shieila saw a Pteranodon diving as fast as a Kosmoceratops towards Shimioni's unprotected neck. "Shimi-" Shieila shielded Sagemho's innocent little eyes from the sight of her mother dying. A tear, quickly dried by the wind left Shieila's eye. A Pteranodon glanced at Shieila and Sagemho as an easy-to-get two-for-one special. Shieila ran, the Pteranodon losing interest. Shieila dashed into her ha'te and gently set Sagemho down on her bed. Panting, Shieila clipped her ha'te closed. Tears running down her cheeks, Shieila sat on her bed with Shimioni. "If anyone asks you," Shieila murmured to Sagemho, "You came in here by yourself, and I refused to let a sa'mum like you stay out there and fight dinosaurs as big as three of you." In the ground with a stick, Shieila drew an egg-shaped body, then a smaller oval-shaped head with a bit of neck. Now a tail with a large stone-shaped thing at the end of it. Two legs, with the third and fourth peaking out from behind. Sagemho brayunted- a cross between a bray and a grunt. "Yes," Shieila whispered, on the verge of tears, "It's Shimioni."