Chapter 7

"Alright. As I said two days ago, the first four moves everyone will learn are the swipe, jab, disarm, and unbalance." Hasley said at the newly scheduled women's sword lessons. Those last two moves sound hard, Shieila thought. Especially the disarm.
"Now, everyone take a wooden sword-a few safety things, first!- These have rare fabric, so they don't hurt. We can practice on each other. Be carful not to rip the fabric. Don't jab too hard, it might hurt. Okay, now, take a sword. Careful, don't get them tangled!" All the women and girls went forward, tentatively for the girls for whom it was their first time, like Shieila, and calmly for those who had done it before and knew about the jab, disarm... Unbalance, and... What was the other one? Slip? Swipe? Shieila took a sword. It was heavier than she had expected, and she almost dropped it. Then she steadied her hand, and rested the sword at a 90 degree angle to her arm.
"Okay,"Hasley said. "First, we will learn the swipe. The concept is very easy. You just swing the sword in front of you, like so. " Hasley brought the sword slowly in a semicircle in front of him. He repeated it faster. "Everyone, get some space and try it out." Shieila swung the sword in front of her. It wasn't too difficult. She repeated the movement a few more times.
"Now that you've had a chance to try it on your own, I'll demonstrate how to safely practice with a partner. Let's see..." Hasley's blue eyes flitted around the crowd. "Shieila, will you come forward and try it out?" Me? Why me? This is my first time, Shieila thought, but tentatively walked forward.
"One person swipes, and the other person will try to doge it, and maybe get in a swipe themselves. For today we will just swipe at the stomach. Ready Shieila?" Shieila took a deep breath and readied her sword.
"Ready." As Hasley swung, Shieila's instinct kicked in. She dodged his swipe, and retaliated. Don't hurt him. Don't hurt him. Hasley leaned back to avoid it. Shieila tried again only to have to avoid another swipe from Hasley. Shieila swiped in again, and Hasley dodged. He's good, Shieila thought. Shieila tried to get a strike in, but Hasley anticipated it, and almost touched Shieila with his sword.
"Okay," Hasley said, and they rested their swords. He counted everyone. "There's an odd number of battle-age women and girls, so I'll continue with Shieila."
Again, it was a whirl of swipes. If it had been a real battle, the would be no room for error.
"Okay," Hasley called, and all the women lowered their swords. "Next we will learn the jab. We cannot practice on one other because it hurts even with the fabric." Hasley went on to finish his sword lessons, and every time Shieila practice-fought him, it was a close battle, both of them never touching the other.

************************************

It was the day of the ankylosaurus dance. The Zil'Marou were gathered in the center plaza on their ankylosauruses.
"Let it begin!" called Imstron. The ankylosauruses all reared in unison, followed by a turn. Shieila and everyone else brought their hand over their head. Lean down. This was the frightening part. Shieila precariously laid down against Sagemho's back. A sickening thump echoed as the Zil'Marou rolled off their dinosaurs. They brought their legs up silently, and, after much practice, Shieila was able to lift herself up onto Sagemho without helping with her hands. The Zil'Marou slid their legs to the correct spot. The ankylosauruses galloped forward 5 measured strides. A rear turn came next, and then galloping forward another 5 strides. A leap turn. Shieila stood up, supporting Sagemho all the time. They went the opposite way after, still supporting each other. The Zil'Marou dismounted and put their hands over their head. They touched the ground. This is for Shimioni, Shieila thought, for all her days that never were.