L. Whole Again

Chapter Fifty
Soroya

The battle was won, and so the only thing left to do was to go home. Of course, the Avengers compound is beyond repair. It makes me grateful I didn't keep much stored there. I am also glad I grabbed Bucky's dog tags before the explosion. Bucky noticed them hanging from my neck and smiled. When I tried to give them back to him, he shook his head, saying that they belonged with me.

He paused though as he stared at them. I knew he was piecing together where I got the dog tags. "You visited Olivia?"

I feel a sinking in my chest. I hate that I'm the one to have to tell him about his sister. "Bucky...Olivia died a few weeks ago. Her son James gave me the box of your things...I found this with them. I'm-I'm so sorry." I tell him. Not only did I know how wonderful Olivia was, but I knew what it felt like to lose a sibling. The pain in Bucky's eyes breaks my heart. I wish I could take his pain away.

I found Shuri and T'Challa talking to some of the other Wakandans, with Okoye a few feet away. I let go of Bucky's hand and I rush up to the siblings, wrapping my arms around them both. T'Challa and Shuri hug me back, with Shuri lingering a bit longer. I feel her tears falling onto my shoulder. I can't help but sob onto hers. I missed her more than I can say. When I pulled back from her, I ran over to Okoye and embraced her. She looks as exhausted as I do, but nothing can wipe the smile from her face. Her king and princess were back, our friends were back. That's all that mattered to her and to me.

I see Alex and Khari embracing a few yards away, and as much as I want to see my brother now, I know I need to give those two some time.

All around us are people reuniting, people embracing their loved ones for the first time in years. This moment, right here, was worth all the pain in the past five years. Steve spots us from a few yards away and I can see the tears stream down his face. He runs up to Bucky, practically throwing his arms around him. Bucky shows the same urgency. It warms my heart to see them both reunited. As Steve pulls back, he opens his arm up towards me. I hug onto Steve tightly, seeing a look of confusion in Bucky's eyes as he watches us embrace. This fades after a moment and is replaced with happiness. The two people he cares about the most looked out for each other the past few years and I can see this comforts Bucky.

The sun has set by the time we all go home. Each person on the battle field looks like they could sleep for a week. I fully plan on doing so. I was grateful one of the sorcerers opened a portal for all of us to return, because flying to Wakanda would have been a pain.

All of the warriors that needed medical attention received it, which kept T'Challa, Okoye, and Shuri very busy. She ushered them all towards the hospital in Wakanda. She even pulled me aside upon seeing the head injury I received. She told me I just hit it pretty hard and that I might have a concussion. No permanent damage though and that was a relief. I didn't want my down fall to be a broken door.

I offered to help out with the wounded, but given I have no real medical experience, Shuri said she would manage. I hugged her tightly before I left and told her to call me if she needed any assistance.

Climbing up the stairs to the palace was physically painful. Alex winced every time he took a step, leaning on Khari for support. The two of them made their way into Alex's bedroom, while Bucky and I walk into mine. Both of us let out a heavy sigh and collapsed onto my bed. I've never been more grateful for how soft these beds are.