XXVII. A Time For Healing

Several months later...

Chapter Twenty-Seven:
Soroya

I kick at his thigh hard, grabbing onto his arm and twisting it back. I hold his arm tightly before using my body's weight to send him crashing to the ground with me on top of him.

Khari pats the mad with urgency. With a smirk I get off of him, holding out my hand to help him up. He lets out a pained laugh. "You don't have to be such a show off."

"And where would the fun in that be?" I say smiling at him playfully.

The past several months have been quite busy. Now that the borders have been manned properly and the train stations are finished, we have started to train with the Jabari in order to learn from each other's different fighting styles. Khari and I have been keeping score on how many times one of us beats the other. The score is 15-1 now, since one time I let him win.

Okoye is finishing up with a fight with a Jabari woman, and once she beats her, she looks over to me and nods her head. The sun is starting to go down, so that meant we are done for today. The place we have been training with them is right outside the armory, which makes it easy to practice with various weapons. Khari and I both walk out of the armory together and head towards the palace.

"What's the movie tonight?" Khari asks.

"It was my turn to pick so we're watching The Princess Bride."

"What's The Princess Bride?"

I pat him on the shoulder as the palace comes more into view. "Oh you'll see. I guarantee you'll love it."

Khari shakes his head. "As long as it isn't like Alien. I still have nightmares."

Once we make it into the palace and up to Alex's room, I find my brother is currently putting the disk into the DVD player. He hears us before we approach the door and shouts to me: "I miss the days where we could eat popcorn and RedVines while we watched something."

I smirk at my brother as I walk in, plopping myself onto his bed. "I miss Milk Duds more."

Alex turns his head to look at me and nods with a sad groan. He looks up at Khari and a smile breaks over his face. Khari shares that smile as he leans down and kisses Alex gently on the lips. Khari plops onto the bed next to me and whispers to me: "What are Milk Duds? They sound revolting."

I let out a small chuckle. "They're delicious. Next time I visit Shuri in California I'll bring some back."

"And some RedVines!" Alex says jumping onto his bed, nearly whacking me in the face with his arm.

I roll my eyes. "Yes, and some RedVines."

As the movie begins to play we get into our now normal positions: me on the left side of the bed, Khari on the right, and Alex in between us. Alex clasps his hand with Khari and leans his head on his shoulder.

I look away from the screen and back to them. I never get tired of seeing my brother happy like this, but part of me feels sad. Practically seeing any couple together these days made me sad.

Bucky has been in the hut by the lake the past few months. He barely comes into the city unless he needs more food or supplies. He's spent his time actually working the farm. I bet the mundanity of it calms his nerves.