Chapter 15

Nicole's POV

"What on earth is that?" Natalie exclaimed the moment I stepped inside the room. Since the receptionist knew me, she badges me in the elevator so that I could go to my unit. Luckily the baby had stopped crying so I was able to hide it in my jacket and hopefully she didn't noticed. "Where the hell did you get that and why is it covered in blood?"

"It's a long story." I said as a phased around the room.

"Let me take it." Emilia said as she took the baby away.

"Her..." I corrected. "The baby's a girl, stop calling her 'it'."

"Okay, her... relax." Natalie replied. "You didn't stole her didn't you?" I just shook my head.

Even though we were only in the seventh floor, the huge ball of flame were visible from my balcony. My sister might have noticed my stare. "It's all over the news. There were so many theories that the media was saying. There's no definite story yet." I then noticed that the television was actually turned on. I scrolled in different channels but all I got were breaking news regarding the incident.

"So... where did you find her?" Emilia asked while the baby started crying again. "Shhhh..." She tried but it's not working.

"Maybe she's hungry or full..." Natalie suggested taking the baby from Emilia.

"Since when did you become a baby expert?" I teased.

"Shut up." She placed the baby in the couch and slowly removed the blanket that was wrapped to her. "Her diaper's need changing and she's probably hungry."

I picked up the discarded blanket and saw an insignia. It was a some kind of lizard with the initials C and G written under it. Aside from the blood stains, the blanket have some burned marks. "Fuck..."

"Why?" They both asked.

"She's from the fire..." I concluded.

"What?" Again they said in unison.

"I'm not sure about this, but as I was passing an alley, there was a nurse or a woman dressed as a nurse. She was really hurt and before she died, she begged me to save the girl." I explained. "I don't know what to do but run and obeyed since I heard some men trying to search for them." They both nodded in understanding but somehow looked at me strangely. "it all make sense now. That baby must be from the Grecko clan... look..." I showed them the bloodied and burned blanket plus the initials. "What are we going to do?"

"If she's really with the Grecko clan then that child as well as us were in danger." Natalie said. Her tone and gaze became serious. She took a deep breath and massaged her forehead before continuing.

"What do you suggest we do?" I asked as I looked intensely at the still crying baby.

"We need to call the police." Emilia suggested.

"We can't." They both looked at me with a surprised expression. "The police won't be able to protect her. They'll just put her into the system. And worst, the men looking for her may be able to track her then kill her." I explained.

"So you wanted to keep her?" Natalie asked.

"I wanted to but I can't. I'm not ready for that kind of responsibility." I sighed dejected. Part of me wanted to keep the child but facing the responsibilities that comes with her held me back. I'm too young to be a parent. "I can't even take care of myself... how can I take care of another human being. Besides, she needed a family that will surely love and take care of her."

"Don't worry Nick, I'll take care of her. I know a couple that have been trying for years but wasn't successful."

"Do I know them?"

"You probably heard of them or met them in one of the functions you rarely attend. They were the Cabbotts. They were an old friend of mine from college but they were two years older. Isabella, her now husband Anthony and I were both in the debate team. They got married after college and have been trying to have a baby. They have been talking about adoption. They were good people. I can assure you." I nodded in understanding at my sisters explanation. Even though she always tried to tease me or get into my nerve, I knew it was her way to show me that she cared. Besides, she's a people person and a good judge of character so I knew I can trust her.

"Can you call them now?"

"Yeah I will, but in the mean time, why don't you and Em head to the 24-hr mart to buy some baby stuff. I'm sure Em should be knowledgeable enough to get what was needed." I looked at Em and she just nodded. I was first confused on my sister's comment but then I remembered Maddy. With her father gone in the wind and unreliable mother, it was up to her to raise Maddy.

"Come on Em, let's get her supply before she wakes Maddy."

Emilia's POV

Nicole parked her truck in a 24-hr mini mart not far from her place. The whole ride was silent and was awkward. There was a heavy aura and tension that surrounds her truck.

"I'm sorry." She stated.

"For what?" I asked confused. As far as I remember, she haven't done anything to me.

"I shouldn't walked out earlier. If I hadn't then we won't be in this mess."

"It's okay. Besides, if you didn't do that then that child would probably dead." I was about to exit the truck but then I noticed that it was still locked. "We need to get her supply."

"Oh yeah... sorry." She unlocked the doors and we went in the mini mart.

The store was fairly large for a mini mart. And since it was already late, the place was almost deserted, except for the staffs and some shoppers. I took a cart and proceed to walk towards the baby section.

"So what do we need?"

"Some diapers, milk and bottles." I told her the basics. "We could also get one onesies so she won't be cold, some wet wipes, and some baby toys."

"Was is hard?" She asked out of the blue. But I can't comprehend her questions. She might have sensed my confusion so she elaborated. "Raising a child... was it hard?"

I don't really know how I would react on her question. I wanted to lash out remembering my ordeal. Was it hard? It was hell... but at the same time it gave me life. "I was just 15. I needed to stop going to school to take care of her. I had no mother or father to support her. Now you answer me if it was hard." I felt instant guilt at my answer. I should have handled it better but the pain returned.

"I'm sorry."

"No... I'm sorry. It's not your fault." I told her.

"Errr... I'll check the diapers over here... can you get the milk?" She said, trying to change the topic. I nodded and headed for the milk section.

This day was really exhausting. We started the day great but ended up in a complicated situation. A child's life were depending on us. And as I thought that our day couldn't gotten any worse, I was wrong.

As a checked the baby milk, a lone figure suddenly stood beside me. "Hello Emilia." He said in his deep and raspy voice. My body froze and I dropped the milk I was holding. "It's been a while. Did you miss me?" She said while I stood frozen on my place. I don't even have the energy to speak. Flashes of images assaulted my memory. My knees weekend and the last thing I remembered before I blacked out was hearing Nicole's voice calling me.

A/N: The Bet happened at least 19 years before The Princess and the Nerd, Silent Affection and Strangers in the Park. 

Also, I'm not good at casting, so can you guys make some suggestions?