Chapter Two

Rhonda knew Tommy wasn't telling her everything about his previous night's adventures with Camille and Eric, but didn't mind. Her man sometimes left out tiny details he thought might upset her—or that might embarrass him. She also knew that if she pressed him even mildly he would tell her all. For now, she preferred to walk on in silence, happy to be shoulder to shoulder with her other half after a long night at work and a wonderful breakfast.

As they approached their building, she realized she wasn't yet sleepy and pondered what they might do until she dozed off. Something occurred to her on the way up the stairs. "Don't you dare go to Chicago tonight and not send back pictures of the girls," she said in her best tone of authority.

Tommy's laugh said her words hadn't had the desired effect. "When have I ever gone anywhere and not sent pictures?"

"Well, A," she said, "you don't like the girls. And B, I know how you and your drinking bud are when you get together." She gave him a long look as he unlocked the door. "If I read about another Chicago Fire in the next two weeks, I'll know who to blame."

He couldn't hide a smile and opened the door for her to enter. "I haven't burned a city in ages ... and was nowhere near Chicago the first time that happened." His tone had changed to one of polite patience. "And I love the girls as much as you do ... whether they like me or not. In fact, they're the reason I'm going."

"Oh, don't tell me this is anything more than the pub crawl it is." She gave him one of her crooked smiles and wandered into the living room, where she slipped off her shoes, wiggled from her uniform, and lay on the couch.

She stretched her full length and began wiggling her toes. Tommy followed a few moments later. Taking a seat at the far end of the couch, he cradled her feet and began to rub.

"You haven't seen much of Sam since the girls showed up, have you? He's a different man. After sixty plus years as a bachelor, the girls are the center of his life. He worries, dotes, and frets like an old grandpa. They missed out on so much while they were locked away, so all he wants is for them to be happy, educated, and ready for life."

"That's the part I didn't quite get," she said, nibbling an index finger. "What are you going to teach them?"

"I'm going to help train Lydia."

Rhonda could tell he was starting to act a little guarded and pressed him. "What do you mean 'train'?"

"Lydia's getting stronger ... a lot stronger. Christy Sue has been working with Celia, helping her improve and control her Gift, but Sam wants Lydia to know how to fight. He's afraid he's being too easy on her."

Rhonda raised up a few inches. This time, her shock was real. "Are you going out there to beat up that poor little girl?"

"Rhonda," said Tommy, surprising her by using her proper name, "Lydia has grown over six inches and has more than doubled her body weight in the year since you saw her last. Sam thinks her Gift ... or Gifts, will fully express soon. She's already nearly as strong as he is."

Rhonda's hand went to her mouth, and the look of shock on her face deepened and spread to her eyes. "But she's not even fifteen, yet."

"I know," he said in a calm voice. "But that's the way things are with people like us ... and, anyway, if she were a boy, it would seem perfectly normal to give her that kind of training." Tommy moved closer and took her hand. "I won't hurt her. But she wants to learn to defend herself ... even against people like us. Neither she nor Celia want to be victims again."

"No, you're right. I guess ... I dunno ... both girls just seemed so vulnerable when I first saw them."

"I know they did. They just want to put that behind them." He looked hard at her. "Are you going to be okay with me being gone for two weeks?"