Part 1: To Come Home

A Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Fanfiction—Until the End of Line

Disclaimer: Usual disclaimer applies.

Character(s): Mikazuki Augus

Genre(s): Angst/Tragedy, Hurt/Comfort

A/N: Please note that English is not my native language, so please pardon me for any possible grammar & vocabulary mistakes.

*

It was only a mere of few, quick split minutes; but it was enough to relive all the moments of his life back in his mind.

Barbatos.

Barbatos, his Gundam; that one machine that had denied him the remaining of his freedoms – no matter how very few – he could privilege. Or did it? The White Devil, as many called it – also the one that allowed him to salvage little of his body functions. It was so complicated, contradictory; he didn't quite understand. Well, he never had given much thought to it – or to anything else that mattered, honestly.

He was close to the end, he could feel it. So close. The sharp, pungent smell of his own blood around him; reeked of metallic tang added from the surrounding cockpit, collapsed on him. He could no longer see, or hear, or move; but the beast machine refused to stop. His body had failed him access to reality anymore, but he could feel it. He just knew it. Barbatos was still fighting, refusing to surrender. Their defeat was guaranteed, Tekkadan had lost, but Barbatos...

It was truly the most real manifestation of the devil itself.

He had come a long way to this far. The struggles were gruelling, the process was arduous, but he didn't give up. He wouldn't, as long as Orga was there to pick up his pieces and tell him what to do. He had decided, from that day, that he would follow Orga until the end of the world. He trusted Orga. He needed Orga, as much as Orga needed him. He would not fail, until they reached their final destination.

But Orga had died. Orga had left him. So why the resistance? Why the fights?

But there wasn't only Orga. There were others, so many others – Old Man, Biscuit, Eugene, Akihiro, Takaki, Yamagi, Danji, Ride, Shino, Hush... and many others whose name he couldn't remember.

And then there was also Atra, and Kudelia...

What should I do? What do you want me to do? I had failed them, hadn't I, Orga? I failed...

Just like Orga had failed his promise. Or had he? I'll take you there, Mika. I'll take all of you. To the place where we belong.

Yeah... you already took me there a long time ago, Orga... to that place where we belong to...

Tekkadan. His family. Our family.

He didn't fear death. Or anything, really. He had learned in the most hazardous way to survive; and in the process somehow, he had lost his ability to feel. Rule number one: kill before you get killed. He couldn't really remember the first time he took his first killing, all he could remember just how relieved he was. The relief that he was still alive, that he had survived another day, no matter how grave the injuries he might sustain. All he knew he was just so relieved that he had made it through the other day. To live, keep living.

Though, everything slowly changed the day he and Orga joined the CGS. The beginning wasn't particularly good for them, but they had a place to sleep and get food, not having to worry anymore about being bullied in the street. He met other children his age, even the younger ones; and he felt... a sense of belonging. That he belonged there. He didn't feel any strong attachment, but Orga helped him to understand. He woke up every day, looking forward to what other adventures the day might be offering him... along with his friends.