Because you see, I've got friends now

Gerard's 'gang' occupied a couple tables in the corner of the lunch room, though you'd think it was much more by how loud they all were. None of them seemed to care how loud they were, not that it mattered, because the rest of the lunchroom was equally as noisy.

Gerard offered me a seat next to him, and though I would have rather sat next to someone else, I had to stay in his good graces. I gave him the most authentic looking smile I could muster and slid right in next to him on the bench. Across from me was the boy with glasses from the hallway. He glanced up to see who the visitor Gerard had brought over was, but when he saw it was me his eyes widened a little and he stared down at his lunch. Cute.

"This is Mikey." Gerard nodded to the younger boy. "He's my little brother, a sophomore." Gerard flicked his forehead and gave him a look. "Say hi, Mikey."

"Hi." Mikey said quietly, pushing his glasses up his nose.

"Hello!" I decided to be extra cheery to Mikey; I could gauge Gerard's reaction. I smiled at Mikey and gave a flirty wave. Gerard just looked at me then Mikey silently, then tugged my arm to engage me in conversation with him.

"So where are you from Y/n?" Gerard asked, staring into my eyes. He's trying to keep my attention.

"Oh I'm from.... well, its not important." I shook my head and reached into my bag for the food I had brought.

"What do you mean its not important?" Gerard inquired, resting his head on his hand.

"I just...miss it." I found my apple and set to peelng off the sticker. "I only moved here like last week, that's all."

"Oh shit, sorry." Gerard grimaced. "Didn't mean to add salt to the wound or anything."

"No no, don't worry about it." This sticker was being stubborn.

"You know, you can eat those!" Frank exclaimed from across the table.

"What?" I laughed, confused, yet amused.

"You can eat those!" Frank repeated, pointing at the apple. "The stickers on fruit. They're edible."

"Oh." I said, finally removing the sticker. I stuck it on Frank's sleeve and laughed. "Show me."

"Okay!" He shrugged, grinning like a little boy. He stuck it in his mouth and chewed for a second, then swallowed.

"What'd it taste like?" Mikey asked, looking up momentarily.

"I dunno. Paper I guess."

"Cool."

Gerard was laughing, head hidden by his large hands. "Nice one Frank." He said, voice muffled.

I talked with Gerard the rest of lunch, making sure to include Mikey and making him get all flustered. I complimented his glasses, hair, and whatever thing he was drawing at the time. His face got all red and his thin lips would tighten into a closed smile, eyes crinkling at the corners. This kid was adorable; a little ball of lanky and awkward that I just wanted to hug. What was even cuter was Gerard trying to re-direct my attention back to him.

"Y/n, do you wanna meet after school?" Gerard asked as his final desperation to converse with me.

"Um...sure." I said. "I don't think I'm busy, where do you want to meet?"

"Just in the parking lot." He answered, nodding his head. "Out by the big flag pole."

"Sounds like a plan." I gave him a fist bump and the bell rang, sending herds of students to their classes.

Mikey was in my P.E. class, which was good for me to get information on his brother and friends. I didn't have much of an impression of Gerard, except that he likes attention, and getting what he wants; hardly novel for a popular asshole boy. I knew there had to be more; it was strange for someone like him to only want my attention and not everyone else's as well.