VI. King T'Challa

Chapter Six:
Soroya

"You didn't like Brittany Spears?" Shuri asks in shock as we make our way through the hall.

I shake my head. "I didn't like Lady GaGa either. What I did love though is the second, third, and fourth Harry Potter movies. I can't wait to watch the others."

Shuri shakes her head. "I want you to listen to Beyoncé next. If you tell me you don't like her, we can no longer be friends."

"Duly noted. Now, tell me, why was it so important to get that spy?"

We walk through the palace doors and are hit with the bright glow of the sun, making our way towards the queen mother.

"Nakia is T'Challa's ex. I can tell he still has feelings for her, and she for him. They're just too stubborn to admit it."

"So, he wanted her here for the ceremony?"

She nods, smiling at her mother as we grow nearer to her. "Yes. I bet he froze up and became a bumbling idiot when he saw her again."

Shuri hugs her mother. She looks like the definition of grace and beauty, especially in the glow of the sun above us. Queen Ramonda turns to me and holds my hand, smiling at me widely. We had only talked a few times before this, and each time she has shown me the same generosity and kindness her son has.

Speaking of her son, the three of us watch as his jet settles on the ground in front of us. The Dora Milaje stand at attention as their future king walks down the steps. A beautiful young woman dressed in green clothes follows behind T'Challa, with a serious look on her face. Her expression turns into sorrow as she sets eyes upon Ramonda and Shuri. Okoye is the last to touch the ground, she shoots me a smile as she walks towards us.

"Queen mother...princess...my comfort for your loss." The woman says, pain in her eyes as genuine as T'Challa's and Shuri's.

Queen Ramonda smiles softly. "Thank you, Nakia. It is so good to have you back with us."

Nakia smiles at them both. Okoye speaks to her commander, saying: "Take her to the River Province to prepare her for the ceremony."

"Yes, General." The commander says, bringing her arm up to her her chest as all Wakandans do. I've learned it is a way of showing respect and kindness to those around them.

The commander begins to walk away, with Nakia following close behind. She shares a look with T'Challa that does indeed hold love and affection. It makes me smile.

Shuri notices this to, smiling smuggly at Okoye. "Did he freeze?"

Okoye smiles. "Like an antelope in headlights."

Shuri begins to laugh, and I can't help but let out a chuckle myself. T'Challa looks between the three of us. "Are you finished?" He asks us, but this doesn't stop our amusement.

Okoye taps her spear twice, leading the Dora Milaje away, a smile still on her face.

"So surprised my little sister came to see me off before my big day." T'Challa says playfully to his sister. "And you dragged poor Soroya along."

"I didn't drag her here, she wanted to come."

T'Challa turns to me with raised eyebrows. I give him a nod. "I did. I was curious to meet Nakia. She's very beautiful, but I suspect you already know that."

"Alright enough teasing, I get enough of that from this one." He says, gesturing to Shuri. "But it's nice to see you care this much about my coronation."