Chapter 14: Written Exam

(Y/n) POV

I get back to the Todoroki residence before Shoto gets home.

I greet Fuyumi and I run into the guest room they prepared for me and sit on the bed. Again. I feel sad, but tears don't leave my face. Maybe I am just heartless.

I hear Shoto's voice realizing that he's come home. I decide to stay in the guest room and study. The final exams are tomorrow and I haven't studied in any way.

About an hour or two later, I hear a knock on my door. It's Endeavour.

I change into my gym uniform as quickly as possible and open the door.

"I'm sorry I left earlier today, I'm ready for training now!"

Endeavour looks over my shoulder and I can tell he sees the stack of textbooks on the desk.

"Were you in the middle of studying?" he asks.

"Oh, yes. The written portion of the final exams is tomorrow. Oh but please don't worry too much. I'm not too smart, but I'm not stupid if I do say so myself. I can do the usual training," I say.

Endeavour looks at me for a few seconds that seem like forever and say, "No, we'll put off the training for today, I've been worried that you haven't had enough time to study because of all the training."

Something fills up inside of me. Someone was worried about me. For about 2 seconds I forget all about Shoto's childhood and all I can think of is, 'I'm glad Endeavour was my favourite hero after all,'

"Thank you!" I say and bow.

Endeavour simply nods and walks away back to his office.

I get back to my desk and start studying. I told Endeavour that I was doing okay, but I'm in terrible shape. Although I'm not stupid, I've done absolutely no studying which is never good. I sigh. 'Tonight's an all-nighter for sure...' I think.

I decide to get some (high caffeine drink) from Fuyumi-san. I walk carefully, making sure I don't bump into Shoto.

"Fuyumi-san?" I ask, "Would you have some (high caffeine drink) by any chance?"

She looks at me and smiles, "Is someone pulling an all-nighter tonight?" she asks.

"Yeah..." I smile back.

She hands me my drink and says, "Alright, although this isn't the healthiest, I'll bring you a pot full in a bit."

I laugh a little, "Thank you so much, that would really help."

"No problem," she says, "Tell me if you need anything else!"

"I will," I say and run back to my room, I don't want to be caught by Shoto, nor do I have any time to waste.

I go through all of my subjects and spend a little extra time in sections that I'm not so good at. A little later, Fuyumi brings me a pot full of (hcd) as promised.

"Thank you so much Fuyumi-san," I say.

"Don't mention it," she says, "but if you can, do try to sleep. If you can't stay awake for your exam, it'll all be a waste."

"Thank you," I say, "I should be fine but I do hope I get some sleep tonight."

"Yeah, I'm going to get some rest now so goodnight!"

"Okay, goodnight!" I say.

She leaves the room and closes the door behind her. I refill my cup with some more (hcd) and wake myself up. I keep studying and reading over my textbook and by the time I decide to take a break, it's already morning.

'Oh shoot,' I think. ' I wasn't able to get any sleep whatsoever. This is really bad,'

I look at the time. It's still early but I can hear Fuyumi-san working in the kitchen and I decide to go grab some breakfast before Shoto wakes up. If possible, I want to leave the house before he wakes up.

"Fuyumi-san?" I ask as I walk into the kitchen, "It's still very early, do you usually wake up around this time?"

"Just as I thought, you pulled an all-nighter didn't you?" she asks.

"Yes..."

"I was going to make you an early snack, but are you finished studying?" she asks.

"You didn't have to wake up for me. I feel bad... But yes. I think I'm ready," I say.

"That's great! Now go sleep! You can sleep for about an hour I think. Maybe an hour and a half if you shove down breakfast," she says but then she notices that I'm already changed. "Why are you already changed, (Y/n)?"

"I was planning to leave before Todoroki-kun wakes up..." I say sheepishly.

"(Y/n)-chan, I don't think Shoto will be happy if he finds out that you're not taking care of yourself for his sake."

"Ahaha..." I laugh a little sheepishly, "Fuyumi-san," I say with a serious face, "I've come this far, I've worked this hard, I'm not giving up now. If I give up here, it'll all be for nothing."

She smiles but her eyes look really sad. "Thank you (Y/n)-chan," she says and she starts crying, "Dad's become so much nicer and Shoto seems so much happier these days, it's all thanks to you, (Y/n)-chan."

It's so heartwarming. It fills me all the way up. "That's my line, Fuyumi-san. Without you, I don't know how well I'd still be standing. Thank you so so much. This is the least I can do for Shoto. I'm sorry I'm unable to do anything for you..."

"Please don't say that. Seeing Shoto happy is way more than enough for me,"

"I'll get going now, don't want to take risks..." I say.

"Alright, good luck on your exam!" she calls out.

"Thank you!" I say and run out of the house.

~~~

The exam goes very smoothly and I believe that I did pretty well.

After the school day is over, I rush out the door and onto the train, making sure that Shoto isn't anywhere near.

I get to the house and immediately ask Endeavour to start training. Today's the most important. Tomorrow's the practical exams so Endeavour will most likely go harder on Shoto than ever if I leave him alone.

"But (Y/n), are you sure you're alright? Didn't you pull an all-nighter last night?" he asks.

"I did, but I'm completely fine and the practical exams are tomorrow so I want to get as much last-minute training done as possible," I respond.

"...alright then. Let me know if it's too much."

"Thank you,"

Todoroki POV

(Y/n) runs out the door like she's late for something and I don't even get a chance to talk to her. I wonder if it's awkward between us now...

I take my time while I head home. I'm not really in any of a rush.

As I get closer to home, I see smoke. I sigh. 'Probably my dad again... What did he burn this time...' I think and walk into the house.

And then I hear a scream

A scream that came from what sounded like,

"(Y/N)!!!"

(A/N Thank you for reading this chapter! I'm sorry-- it was a pretty boring and short one. I still hope you enjoyed it and I hope to see you next chapter! PLUS ULTRA!!!)