Chapter 8: Sports Festival (One vs. One)

(A/N so our first opponent is Todoroki which means we're taking Sero's spot. I'm so sorry Sero!)

I walk back to the waiting rooms and decide to do a few stretches. My match is the second match, so as soon as Midoriya and Shinsou are done, I'm up. I'm really scared to fight Todoroki. I don't think I'll be able to win and I didn't expect my first match to be Todoroki. I take a few deep breaths and try to calm down. 'Do I have a plan? What can I do? I know for a fact that Todoroki won't use his fire, so I just need to find a way to beat his ice attacks,' I think. 'But that's the obvious, and it's obviously going to take longer for me to melt his ice than for him to attack. Ugh, that means I'm at an extreme disadvantage,'

I continue to stretch, drink some water and test out my quirk here and there to prepare as much as possible. I try to think of a plan, but I can't think of anything.

'Darn it, this is really bad,' I think. 'I can't think of a way to beat him. No, no I have to calm down. Calm, (Y/n), there must be a way...'

"(L/N) (Y/N) AND TODOROKI SHOTO PLEASE REPORT TO THE FIELD, YOUR MATCH WILL BE STARTING SOON." The announcement goes on.

"Already?!" I say out loud in surprise. Oh no, I'm getting super nervous. I want offers for internships. I can't mess up on my first match.

I run to the field and walk up the platform.

"Todoroki vs. (L/n), match START!" Midnight yells.

Todoroki shoots a block of ice at me and I swiftly block it. I can't melt these huge ice blocks. It's going to be a waste of energy, not to mention impossible to melt in time. I concentrate on my breathing. 'I'm going to breathe fire. I'll be able to do this. Don't think of anything, just concentrate, (Y/n),' I think. 'There it is! I can do this,'

I'm close enough to Todoroki. I inhale as much air as possible and simply exhale. It's fire. It's a beautiful fire. Yeah. Fire's beautiful. That's why I fell in love with my quirk. Endeavour's fire is a little different. I don't think other people can tell-- to them, it's just another fire quirk, but to me, Endeavour's fire gives people, me, energy. If my fire is beautiful, then Endeavour's is strong. Strong and reassuring.

The better my condition, the prettier my flames, and the prettier my flames, the hotter and stronger they get.

And I can tell right now, that my condition hasn't been better.

This is not just a match of strength, you have to be able to look good doing it. This is sad, but it's the truth, especially for people like me that have a pretty common quirk. If two people have exactly the same abilities and strengths and one looks better than the other, people would take the person who looks better. It's that kind of sad world, this world we live in.

A lot of people think that using your quirk is like a sport, but it's more of a performance art if you ask me. So I'm going to blast my quirk whenever I can, just show it off, grab people's attention.

I dodge attacks, attempt to burn Todoroki, and a bunch of other things but after doing all that and making the perfect performance I wanted, a thought came to me.

'I want to see Todoroki's flames,' I think.

I know why he won't use it, I know how he feels when he uses his fire quirk. I don't want him to have to feel so bad ever again, so if possible I don't want him to use his left side again. But I want to see his left side. I want to see his fire.

Then I snap out of it, but I also notice that his attacks had stopped. 'Wait, what happened? Why is he stopping? Is it because I blanked out? Did he wait for me? But why would he wait for me? First, he hates me, Second, even if he didn't hate me, heck, even if he liked me, this is the sports festival!'