Chapter Five - Vinegar And Paint

Comenzar desde el principio

"Oi! Lupin!" Potter called out.

Remus pulled his feet up off the floor and pressed his green hands harder over his face so they couldn't hear him.

The two sets of shoes walked right to the stall he was in. Black's shoes were shiny black loafers, very fancy looking. Potter's were trainers that looked expensive and new.

"We know you're in there," Black said, knocking on the stall door. "You left a trail."

"Lupin, mate, we didn't mean for that to go on you," Potter said. "We thought Spinnet was coming up the stairs, it was meant for him."

Remus wiped his face and then withdrew himself more on the toilet. Go away, just go away! He didn't want to talk, didn't dare speak.

"Hey, give me a hand," Potter said. One of his feet disappeared, followed by the other, and Black grunted loudly. "Hey, Lupin," from above. Remus looked up and saw Potter peering above the door. "Honest, we had no idea you were on your way too." Remus let his feet drop to the floor as he just stared up at Potter, not knowing what to say, knowing tears were streaking stupidly down his face. Potter drew himself up a bit more, leaning now. "We're sorry, little dude, it was one hundred percent supposed to be Spinnet, and--ooofa! What's that smell?!"

"V... vinegar..."

"Why'd you dump vinegar on yourself?" Potter asked curiously.

Remus began scowling. "I didn't!" he said, frustrated. "Someone else thought it'd be funny to pour stuff on me, if you must know!" With that he unlocked the door and pushed it open. It swung and hit Black who went off balance from trying to hold Potter up, and the two of them went crashing into the floor as Remus ran out of the bathroom and back to the dorm. Spinnet wasn't there and a large, drying puddle of green paint was spreading from the door. The bucket still dangled from a thick cord. Remus stepped gingerly over the puddle and, making sure he wasn't still trailing, dropped to the floor next to his bed and slithered underneath. He stayed there as Potter and Black came back into the dorm, discussing where he might have gone. Not seeing him, they left the dorm again.

Remus waited a good five minutes before emerging from under his bed. It might have been meant for someone else but... He got some clean pajamas and went back to the bathroom for a shower. It took a while and a lot of hot water to scrub off all the paint and stench and by the time he finished he was pink all over. He dried off, threw his pajamas on, and tiptoed back to the dorm. He couldn't hear anyone inside. He went in and went over to his bed, intending to hide there for the rest of the night. They'd just find me and try to talk to me again. He grabbed a pillow and blanket, his school bag, shut his bed curtains, and went back under his bed. He made a little nest for himself and settled there to read. The skirt from the bed was low enough that nobody could see him unless they intentionally looked.

"...find him anywhere. I thought for sure he'd be in the library."

The door opened and in trooped the two paint criminals. Remus lowered his book and watched their shoes pacing around. Potter approached Remus's bed and opened the curtains. "Not here either. Where did he go?"

"Are you sure he was crying?" Black asked.

"Yeah," Potter sighed and Remus glared. "It's almost time for supper, he's probably at the Great Hall now. We can apologize there."

"Did someone actually dump vinegar on him?"

"That's what he said..."

The two of them left the dorm again and Remus out a relieved sigh before returning to his book. Supper time, he thought, and he was quite hungry but he wasn't going to leave the safety of his hiding place for anything. He had some candy in his trunk which could help fight off the hunger pains except he didn't want those two coming back in while he was in plain sight.