Chapter Thirty-Eight

Y/n P.O.V:

I felt myself go dizzy at the sight that was before me. The concrete that I was standing on was shaking fiercely which made it difficult to stand upright. The deafening footsteps that shook the Earth were coming from hundreds of Titan's feet. From what I could tell, from what I could see, there were hundreds more coming to join the ones that were at the wall. 

"Y/n."

My hand had instinctively covered my opened mouth. My heart was beating abnormally and my breathing was shaky. I was barely holding myself together. 

"Y/n!"

My thoughts were shaken as I was forced to look away from the terrifying scene in front of me. My eyes met the hazed over grey ones that belonged to Levi. He looked just as scared as me.

"You have to get yourself together. We don't have time for one of our strongest soldiers to stand here uselessly. In your hesitation, Stacey has already fled the wall to fight. We have to get this situation under control before the Colossal or Armoured Titans show up," Levi was reasoning with me, no, begging would fit the situation better. "I know that you're scared, I am too. Y/n..."

He went silent, jumping harshly as a flash of lightning struck in the distance. The Scouts knew what that meant by now. Titan Shifter. My ears rang painfully as my vision went blurry and I looked over my shoulder. Before me stood something I never wanted to see again. 

"It's her," I choked out, almost inaudibly. "The female titan is back."

"Y/n," Levi started again. "Free."

I looked back into his eyes. His eyes that were so filled with pain that just a glance made my heart break. Levi knew just as well as me the pain that we all endured after the female Titan's appearance. 

"Knock yourself out of it, you idiot!" His voice echoed, and my ears stopped ringing. "You're one of the only people, if not the only one who can take that monster on. We have to put our trust in your and in Stacey. Can you not see that? What happened to the strong girl who has endured so much with your brother, your parents, the underground, with me? What happened to the strong girl that I fell in love with so many times over. The one who is punishing me so harshly because I broke your heart. The one who lived with Titans for three months alone and survived. Humanity needs you right now, Y/n."

He was right. I knew he was right but I felt paralyzed. I couldn't move my feet no matter how hard I tried. I felt tears well in my eyes as Levi let go of my shoulders and instead dropped his upper body into a deep bow. I could hear him pleading and I could see his actions begging me to take control of myself and move forward. 

"Y/n, humanity needs its strongest soldier," Levi yelled out with a tone I had never heard before. His words seemed so simple yet genuinely felt. "They need you. Free, you are humanity's strongest soldier."

And with those simple yet genuine words, my body stopped shaking. My heartbeat slowed to a normal pace, and my vision focused on the sight in front of me. Levi's deep bow, the smoke of a broken wall, the vapor of dead titans. My ears settled on the screams of dying comrades, the simple statement that gave over the title of humanity's strongest to me, the thundering footsteps of monsters. 

"Levi," I found my voice. "Humanity needs us."

Levi stood abruptly, looking at me again. His usual calm and collected self had begun regaining consciousness inside of him.  With a smile, I raised my hand to his cheek and wiped away tears that I believed he didn't realize were falling. Levi pushed his head into my hand slightly, his eyes closed. He found his calm in me. He found his composure in my touch. 

"I really would be lost without you," I said quietly. "If you don't make it out of this battle, I'll be really mad. You have a lot to make up to me, you know."

"I know."

My hand dropped from Levi's cheek and to his belt, where he had a knife tucked safely. His eyes widened slightly as I unsheathed the weapon and walked backwards to the edge of the wall.  On my way, I swiftly dropped my 3DMG to the ground on either side of me. As I reached the edge, I caught Levi's eyes one last time. 

I nodded at him as if to say 'it's alright'. As if to say 'everything is okay now'. He still looked a bit shaken, however, he moved forward, following behind me. Then, I let myself fall backward. 

The world went silent in those few seconds that I fell through the air. I could see the titans below me, ready to devour me in one sly movement. I could see the female titan making her way towards the wall. I could see the cadets that I had trained, that I had sparred with, that I had eaten with, being eaten. Yet, I found peace in the silence. 

I found Stacey among the fighters and immediately, he knew what to do. I watched him lift his arm to his mouth, much like Eren had when he transformed himself before. 

"Are you ready?" I could hear only his voice as I fell. 

"Y/n, Let's do this," Eren's voice ruptured from the other side of me. We were all there. We were ready. 

"Okay," I yelled out. "I'm ready."

We were about to walk into battle with all our defenses. We weren't fighting to hold them back any longer. We were fighting to win. 

I lifted the blade I stole from Levi to my arm, and in a swift movement, I sliced it open. At that moment, everything went black, everything got hot, and suddenly, I felt truly unstoppable. The three of us landed smoothly, killing some of the titans that had been below us. I felt myself regain control over my body and looked to either side of me where Eren and Stacey stood. 

As we walked forward at that time, there was only one thought running through my head: Save Humanity.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

A/N:

Here we are. A long-awaited chapter. I hope it's up to some of your standards, and I'll try my best to improve in the next few. Thank you all for sticking by my side as I return to this account and please anticipate my hard work as I finish out this story. I really can't express how much all of you mean to me and how sorry I am for leaving you waiting for so long. Thank you for reading this chapter. More will come soon. 

-M