Chapter #1 "The Crystal Forest"

Her pen moved smoothly across the leaf, just as a brush would pass through a canvas. Smooth, leaving only thin, pale lines. The light became scarcer with each passing minute she drew. The pale autumn sun was setting behind the western hills. Gear could always stop and continue tomorrow, but she did not want this calm state in which she was fallen to disappear. At least not yet. 

Most of the pack thought her irresponsible. To paint calmly as if there was no work to do... But there was no work to do. Most of the things they needed to live in peace were provided to them. So she did not think to behave so seriously. Not without reason.

Her hand moved with a light flick. Little by little the thin lines piled on top of each other until they began to recreate the surroundings. But it was not completely realistic. It shouldn't have been realistic. Gear change it at her discretion, just as she saw it. The blue color of her pen fits right in place. The reddish afterglow of the sun was turning into the icy glare of a cold star, creating gusting winds over the freezing forest. Crystal formations, perched on the dead branches and stems, were reminiscing of leaves. In all shapes and shades of blue, purple and purple. The singing of the wind was the only sound in this quiet place.

Gear saw it as real as if she could reach out and be scalded by the icy frost of the crystals. She pursed her lips, focusing on the final touches. She was vaguely aware of the sudden silence of the forest. The gradually lengthening shadows of the trees. Gear would sigh of annoyance, but didn't want to spoil any detail.

People would say that after a few months she should have been accustomed. And she really was. To the point that it was a little annoying. Mainly because she was beginning to wonder why. And she didn't need to know.

"Come on, Barron", she whispered. "Come out, you animal". 

She heard his faint growl and noticed the slight movement in a bush a few feets away. He emerged from the bushes, shaking his coat from the leaves. His dark gray eyes traced the movement of her hand.

Then Baron began to transform. Geer saw the gentle bending of the air, like a membrane that held the change inside. The rapid harvest of thousands of hair, the silent placement of bones and the collection of the muzzle...

She kept her gaze on his face without looking at his naked body. At least not much.

"If your plan was to be inconspicuous, you failed," Gear replied. She quickly closed her sketchbook before he got close enough. "You're supposed to be the most capable? Complete nonsense, if you ask me".

"If I wanted it, you couldn't sense me even if I was right behind you," Barron said. "But I think you would have liked it too much," he continued, amused.

Gear rolled her eyes, grunting. Then she answered:

"You may have a very high opinion of yourself.

She began to put her things in the small backpack she carried.

"Can you blame me," Barron asked as he watched her. Colorful pens caught his attention. "What were you doing?"

"I was painting and before you asked, no, you can't look," Gear muttered.

His face became bitter, but she didn't take it. In fact, none of the pack was catching the trick with the puppy eyes.

"How pity", Barron sighed. "I might really like it. But now we will never know."

"How am I going to live with that thought," Gear whispered, rolling her eyes. She put her backpack on and walked down the path to the caves. She did not turn to see if he had followed her. But he followed. With such quiet footsteps that she could not catch them, no matter how hard she tried. "Rooster", thought Gear. 

It was time to scratch her curiosity. This was their first normal conversation in months. Wondering how to get started, she decided that a straightforward approach was the best way.

"Why are you following me," she asked, without looking at him. She was really getting tired of him lurking her like some weak animal. Especially without knowing the reason. 

"Do I follow you", he countered with a question. "I thought I was touring the territory", he grunted loudly, as if offended by her statement and continued. "You may have a very high opinion of yourself".

Gear almost stumbled into her quickness to look at him with conviction. Barron raised his eyebrow, but when he saw her face he laughed.

"You are touring, huh?", she mumbled. "What a coincidence that almost every time you come across to me then".

"I can say the same thing about you," Barron winked.

There was clearly no answer for her. So she'll have to find it on her own. 

Behind her, Barron was thinking what to do that night. He had already done his job. And he had annoyed Gear, which was clearly a bonus for the day. His friends would be busy tonight, and somehow he had no mood to deal with Kalis or his father. Which reminded him to warn Gear:

"Be careful to avoid him," he said suddenly. "He's still mad at you".

He was just waiting for the moment when she would stop mad. For a few minutes, Barron listened with pleasure to her moaning. The sun disappeared completely, submerging the forest at dusk. The more they walked to the caves, the more they felt the presence of the wolves running among the trees. 

"He must stay away from me", saying Gear, continuing her tirade. "It's his problem, it's not me that can't be controlled".

He growled deeply.

"You will speak with respect to your Alpha! Or you will bear the consequences," Baron hissed. "In the name of the Night, Gear. You're wrong. Start doing what you need to do".

She seemed to shrink before his heavy gaze. But she still pursed her lips, refusing to surrender. Barron shook his head. Someday, she would have serious troubles.

He stopped at the base of the rocks and watched her climb up. A moment later, her figure disappeared, sinking into the caves. He already had a better idea of how to spend his night. As long as he could escape from his father's starry gaze, everything should be all right.

He shook off the strong bond between the packs, so close to their hiding place, and transformed. Outside, everything happened for a moment. But inside, it lasted a little longer. The sudden change in eyes that made the dark world brighter than a day, the sharp senses that flooded his brain with information. Instincts trying to overcome his strong will.

The next moment, his agile body drifted through the shadows at a rate that made it look like a blur. Quiet as an unspoken whisper, Barron crept between the wolves, heading for the lights beyond the hills.

"Let's see what's so interesting to these people," he thought as he made his way down to the small town. Closest to the caves. A little examination would do no harm.

Ω Vote & Comment Ω