Twenty-five

"Kiwi, look at the sky," Franki prodded the other girl's side, trying to wake her up. Diana groaned and rolled over. This only encouraged the smaller girl. She crawled on top of Diana so one leg was on each side of her torso.

"Wake up," Franki giggled, poking Diana's cheek and pointing to the window. "You are going to miss it, Kiwi."

"Miss what?" Diana's raspy morning voice finally filled the silence. She opened her eyes to come face to face with a smiling Franki, already attempting to make her sit up. Diana groaned, but allowed herself to be pulled upwards.

"The sky," Franki turned Diana's head and pointed to the window. "It is pretty. Like you. We have to appreciate it, right?" She turned back to the other girl and tilted her head to the side.

Despite having just woken up, Diana managed a soft smile. She wiped her eyes and sat cross legged, gazing out the window for a few moments.

"I guess it is pretty beautiful, huh?" she laughed softly. Franki nodded, crawling over to Diana's side and leaning against her shoulder.

"Why don't we go get a better view of it, then?" Diana smiled softly and stood up. Franki watched her, confused, as Diana dug through her drawers. The brown eyed girl handed Franki a pair of leggings and a sweater. Franki tilted her head to the side.

"Go get dressed and let's go watch the sunrise," Diana nudged her towards the door. Franki's face lit up and she nodded excitedly, scurrying across the hallway and into the bathroom. Diana quickly got changed into jeans and a hoodie, pulling a beanie on over her tousled morning hair.

"Knock knock," Franki giggled, standing in the doorway. Diana crinkled her nose and slipped into her boots before leading Franki out of the bedroom.

"I have a surprise for you, too," Diana remembered. She pointed to Franki's converse, signaling for the girl to put them on.

"Surprise?" Franki sat down and tugged on her shoes. She eyed the laces questioningly and then looked up at Diana. Bending down, Diana giggled as she began to tie Franki's shoes. "Yeah, a surprise. It's at the park," she double knotted the laces and then helped Franki up to her feet. "C'mon, you'll like it."

"I like you," Franki smiled proudly, grabbing the doorknob. She surprised Diana by turning around and placing her hands on her shoulders. "There are oceans in your eyes, Kiwi. I see them."

Diana's breath caught in her throat when Franki locked eyes with hers. This girl had a way of evoking the deepest emotions out of her. For someone so innocent, Franki certainly knew what she was doing.

Both girls leaned in at the same time. Diana wrapped her hands around Franki's waist and pulled her closer. She felt the smaller girl smile against her lips. It was soft, it was sweet, it was gentle. But it was perfect nonetheless.

When the kiss broke, Franki smiled widely. "I want to see the surprise," she looked hopefully up at Diana, who was still recovering from the kiss. The brown eyed girl could have sworn that Franki could hear her heart pounding against her chest. "I, yeah, the surprise," Diana cleared her throat. "C'mon, let's go to the park."

Franki smiled excitedly and grabbed onto Diana's hand, tugging her towards the door. Giggling, Diana followed the small girl, making sure to lock the apartment door behind them.

"Slow down, Punky," she laughed, squeezing Franki's hand and slowing her to a walking pace. "It's not going anywhere."

"What is it?" Franki asked as they stepped onto the elevator. Diana grabbed Franki's hand just as she was about to push the wrong button on the elevator.

"Press this one," Diana tapped the correct button, and Franki obeyed. "And you can't know yet. That would ruin the surprise."

"Oh," Franki giggled. The elevator lurched downwards and the small girl instantly clung onto Diana.