Twenty Years Ago: Sally's POV Sally's POV

Start from the beginning

I shrug, and he shrugs too. I laugh, and he gives me a smile.

"They're gone." I state, looking down the street where Jeff walked away. He nods, his hands in his pockets.

"Yeah, they are."

"I always thought that when we saw them again, there'd be hugging and stupid shit like that." I admit, and he nods.

"Yeah, I get it. I thought that would happen too, actually. But they've changed. We know that much." He points out, and I nod. We start walking towards the town, hands brushing occasionally.

"I can't believe this." He mutters, and I look down. "I always thought we were invincible, you know? I never thought that we'd all be caged."

I nod, and continue on.

"You know what was fun?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"What?"

"Killing that one tour five years ago."

He chuckles, looking at his feet as we continue to walk.

"Yeah, we could do that. I mean, killing now is kind of a bore. It's always the same."

"Besides, they have no right going into our houses."

"Yeah." He agrees quietly, and we continue, passing the familiar graveyard. I hear their ghosts calling to me, like sirens on a sea, but my ears are filled with wax.

I'm not Sally. I'm not anything. I'm just a dead person, wandering around. And I can't run away.

So I plug up my ears, and continue to walk, trying not to turn around.

They say that if you turn around, you see all you've done.

You face everyone you've injured, you hear their footsteps behind you in a ghostly parade.

I've turned around too many times.

I've faced them too many times.

And I'm not going to anymore.

I'm not going to face them anymore.

I'm just going to fill my ears with wax, and bind myself to a mast, and I'm never going to face the sirens.

I'm never going back.

I'm not out of the fire yet.

And I never will be.

Earth was always hell. You can't go up, you can't go down. You just come back, and burn a thousand times over and over, never finding a way out.

And no one else will help you. You think you're friends, but you're not. You're just allies in a dangerous game of cat and mouse.

And I can't win.

I'm never able to win.

But I'm sure as hell not losing either.

_______________________

Jeff left, he's all the way across the country. Jill's in New York, who knows where Jack is. He could be in hell for all I care. Eyeless Jack is in Chicago, doing god knows what. Clockwork isn't Clockwork anymore. She goes under a different name, Nat Leonards, trying to rebuild her life, also in Chicago. Toby, on the other hand, travels around the country, doing whatever Slender asks. Masky and Hoodie are following some kids who can't seem to understand how to shut up and stop filming.

And I'm still here.

It's odd.

I can't leave, no matter what I do.

Ben stays here with me, but that's it.

I've never seen them ever since that day, five years ago, when they were released.

I can't stop the tide against me.

I'm never going back.

Ajacks managed to keep quiet, the public barely knows about her. Only her parents remember her, and they've been brushed off as insane by the rest of the community. Not surprising.

But I've never seen the others.

Until I saw the newspaper, saying an anonymous killer has caused a string of disturbing murders in Seattle. Until I saw the newspaper talking about a large bust on a black market, and found that most of it were organ sellers. Until I saw an article about an unknown woman who was murdering rapists and kidnappers in New York. And how while the kidnappers are declining, the kidnapping rates are still soaring. Another article led me to a now well known artist, known for her lively portraits consisting of blues and greens. And how a man was kidnapped for several months, and talked only of a tall thin man, and two men in masks. Or how a man had caused mass murdering sprees, mainly consisting of ax wounds.

I thought the nightmare, the bittersweet taste in my mouth, reeking of iron, would disappear once they came out.

But it never did.

I can't wake up.

But neither can they.

They're still thriving, but thriving is different than living.

But it's not dying, either.