Was she always this pale? Oh, that hair. I told her many times to cut it. It covers her eyes completely

Debbie leaned and brushed Lou's hair away from her eyes but as if it was a spring, the bangs again got back over Lou's eyes. Debbie sighed.

Your bangs are as stubborn as you are

She smiled when she thought about it. She then looked at Lou's eyes which were closed. Lou was calm and was asleep and there was no movement. She remembered how bright her blue eyes were. The prettiest pair of eyes she had ever seen, she realised it now.

Yeah, it is the prettiest and the brightest, happiest pair of eyes. So blue and sparkling always. Also, very mischievous

Debbie lightly traced Lou's laugh lines which aren't prominent when in rest.

Happy always. At least for last 20 years. And she filled my life with happiness too. I was so stupid to leave this happiness and go behind Claude for partnership. Fuck! She still was with me. She still is with me. Every step of the way. Thank you, Lou, for being with me always and supporting me

Debbie leaned upwards and lightly kissed her forehead. While doing so, she felt Lou's breath against her skin. For a moment it made Debbie go blank.

Stop Debbie. It's nothing

Debbie again slept on her side, looking at Lou. She was tempted to sleep the way she slept earlier. She snuggled and placed her head on Lou's chest. The room was too silent and for the first time Debbie concentrated on Lou's heartbeat that was directly being received by her ear. The lub-dub heart sound made her feel calm and happy. This never happened before. This isn't the first time she is sleeping like this with Lou. But she never gave much thought about it. She never concentrated on anyone's heartbeat to be honest. Not even with Tammy. Whenever she slept like this with her partners, she never cared about anything. This was new and Debbie was happily accepting this new fact. Her mind started thinking about the sound. The lub-dub sound formed new imaginations in her mind. She mouthed the sound and slowly modified it as love - Deb. She repeated the words almost ten times before she realised what she was saying.

Oh my! Debbie stop it. Stop before everything goes out of your control. Don't expect Lou's heart to beat for you. You are her friend. Nothing more

But what's wrong with me thinking that way?

Everything Debbie. Everything. Don't ruin whatever you are having now. Stop with your fucking brain.

Debbie however didn't listen to her voice in the brain and now concentrated on the rise and fall of Lou's chest. She tried to match her breathing with Lou's. She got it synchronised. She smiled when done.

She closed her eyes and drifted to sleep, listening to Lou's heartbeat.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Tammy decided to call Debbie and Lou for lunch. She opened the door and saw both Lou and Debbie sleeping. Debbie resting her head on Lou's chest and Lou's hands around Debbie. That had happened sometimes after Debbie drifted to sleep.

Tammy smiled seeing them.

If only Debbie realised Lou's feelings

She wanted to wake them up but looking at them like this, she didn't feel like disturbing.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Both Lou and Debbie woke up to the loud sound downstairs.

"What's that?"

"Don't know. Let's see"

They ran downstairs. But Debbie didn't miss the fact that Lou's arm was around her when they woke up.