Nodding, I started for D'Artagnan's horse. Before I forgot, I handed the former priest and musketeer most of what was left from the money I'd been given by the queen. “I hope this is enough to get you there,” I said. Aramis nodded, accepting the money.

“There's no point in avoiding the main roads,” Porthos told me, handing me D'Artagnan's cloak to add to my disguise. “They already know where we've gone. If you want the queen's protection, you have to get to Paris before you're caught. Or make sure a message gets to her.”

Breathing out, I nodded my agreement and fastened the cloak at my throat. I glanced over to see D'Artagnan seemed to be talking to his horse, probably telling it to keep me safe. “Constance,” Athos said, startling me. “When you are caught-.”

I tried not to let fear show in my face. He said when, not if. He and I both knew I would get caught. It was only a matter of when. “I won't tell them anything,” I vowed quietly. I would not betray them.

Athos shook his head as I hid my hair under D'Artagnan's hat. “Do not get yourself killed,” he said. I looked at him in surprise. He lowered his voice so that only I would hear. “It would kill D'Artagnan.”

He stepped away. “Buttercup may not look like much, but she'll do whatever you ask of her,” D'Artagnan told me, moving to help me mount. He handed me the reins once I was settled in the saddle. He let his hand rest on mine, his gaze intense. “Be careful, Constance.”

Hoping I wasn't lying to him, I nodded and nudged Buttercup out into full view of everyone. D'Artagnan joined the others in hiding, and I held my breath as I waited.

“D'Artagnan!” Jussac shouted. I kicked Buttercup's sides, and raced from the docks. “Get after him!”

I didn't dare look back as I rode. 'Please. Let them get there and back safely!' I prayed as I guided Buttercup through the streets. I could hear the guards following me. I couldn't leae Calais just yet, or they would realize I was a decoy. For now they assumed I was D'Artagnan, and that the others would not leave for London without me.

Still, I wasn't going to make it easy on them. “Come on,” I urged Buttercup, leaning down over her neck.

The biggest disadvantage I had was that I didn't know the streets of Calais. I tried not to think about this as I made turns randomly. At one point I nearly had a heart attack when I saw that the way was blocked by carts and stalls selling wares. D'Artagnan was right about Buttercup though. The horse leapt over a table, nearly unseating me.

Relieved, I laughed out loud. Hoping I had given them enough time, I headed for what I guessed was the way back to Paris. I felt the horse falter slightly under me, and knew that having carried D'Artagnan this far, and my pushing her, she was growing tired. I prayed she would get me at leat on the road to Paris. There, I knew I could find another horse and leave Buttercup to recover and await D'Artagnan's return.

“Just a little farther,” I begged.

The little horse seemed to hear my plea, because she evened out, and even picked up her pace a little. But my luck ran out just when I saw the edge of Calais.

A row of the Cardinal's guards blocked my way, and there was no way to get around them. I pulled Buttercup to a stop, looking over my shoulder. Jussac was closer than I'd realized and I was surrounded in moments.

“Well, well, well,” Jussac approached, somewhat warily, probably remembering D”Artagnan's swordsmanship. He signaled his men and they all aimed their muskets at me. “Going somewhere, D'Artagnan?” he asked with a sneer. I held my tongue, determined to give nothing away, even though I knew I would be found anyway. “What? Nothing to say?”

His tone was taunting, but I kept quiet. “Hand over your weapons,” Jussac ordered angrily, no doubt irritated by my silence.

I let go of the reins and spread my hands out. The movement revealed my blue dress. Cursing some words I'd never heard before, Jussac reached over and jerked my hat off. I stared at him.

“Its a decoy!” Jussac shouted. Angrily, he threw D'Artagnan's hat on the ground. I glared at him. That hat was part of the king's reward to D'Artagnan, and I knew it was the best that D'Artagnan now owned. “Get back to the docks!”

As the guards turned back, Jussac glared at me. “Where are they, Mademoiselle?” he demanded.

“To whom are you referring?”

“Hold her here until I return,” Jussac ordered, looking at the guards who were on foot.

Even though I knew it most likely wouldn't work, I played my last card. “I am the queen's lady in waiting,” I said, holding myself with dignity. “You have no right to detain me in such a way! You may be sure that when I return to Paris, the queen will be informed of this insult.”

Jussac flinched slightly, and I dared to hope that my gamble worked. “Mademoiselle, the cardinal has ordered all those who aid the fugitives will be held accountable,” he said firmly. He turned his horse. “It will not go well for you if they have left France.”

He was not going to intimidate me. I looked away and stared at the road. I sent up another prayer that D'Artagnan was safely on his way.