Percy

My name is Perseus Jackson. My friends call me Percy. I'm seventeen years old. Unlike regular teens who spend their days preparing for the SATs or internship programmes, I spend my time at a special camp in Long Island, New York. If you are wondering why, that is because I am a half-blood. A demigod.

If you ask me, being a half-blood is way too overrated. After two wars involving gods, titans and monsters, I finally settled down to a routine life or as routine as that of a demigod can get. For months after the war, I was plagued with nightmares and hallucinations. I spent every waking moment haunted by the memories of the people who died and the horrors of Tartarus. I couldn't confide in anyone, not even my girlfriend, Annabeth. Ever since we came out of Tartarus, she was also plagued by nightmares. She needed someone to support her, to help her and I chose to help her. Even Jason occasionally confided in me, his worst nightmares. So I put up a facade for the sake of others, to support my friends, who were nothing short of my family.

This went on for a long time and no noticed that with every passing day, I lost a part of myself. My father was busy with the renovation and governance of his realm, the oceans. My mother was happily married to my former English teacher, Mr. Paul Blofis. They spent their days preparing for the birth of their child but they also visited me at camp often. My friends all looked up to me as their source of strength and comfort. It became so painful that one day while the Gods visited the camp for the victory ceremonies, I strayed away to the remote confines of the surrounding forests as my friends celebrated the victories earned and sacrifices made. The scenery around was beautiful, a lake in a clearing with fresh green grass and beautiful white flowers. However, I was so consumed by guilt and shame that I subconsciously began boiling the water vapour around me. For a minute, I was back in Tartarus, being choked by Achlys and her poison. I didn't notice immediately but the air around became supercharged with heat and the plants and grass around began dying. I felt my body become lighter and lighter, slowly turning into vapour until I felt the heat pass through me. More plants began wilting and grass drying up in a widening circle of death. I immediately knew I lost control because that was the first time I managed to turn my entire body into mist, just like Achlys. I finally recognised my surroundings but it was too late, I was already in a super heated vapour state. I knew that if I didn't control myself, I would destroy the camp and die in the process. I frantically tried to acclimate myself to my new form but I was too agitated to make any real progress. Just when I thought that I was done, I felt an arrow embed itself at my feet and I saw a bright flash before I lost consciousness.

When I woke up seconds later, I realised that I was submerged in water. For a second, I was worried that my friends or worse the gods saw my outburst. I uncapped my trusty sword, Anaklusmos, and attempted to jump out of the lake but tripped on a stone and face planted on the forest grass. A familiar yet strange sound of laughter permeated the air as I slowly got up and wiped the dust of my clothes and face.

'Show yourself whoever you are', I said.

A figure jumped from the foliage and landed gracefully on the grass around 10 feet from me. One look at the silver clad figure and I knew who it was. It was lady Artemis standing in her 20 year old form armed with a hunting bow, a quiver of arrows and an expression of pure amusement.

I immediately knelt and said, 'Lady Artemis, it is an honour. Is there anything I can do for you?'

Lady Artemis smirked at me and I was instantly unnerved. She waved her hand and said, 'Rise, Perseus. It isn't befitting to see a hero of Olympus acting like an idiot, however amusing it may be.'

I rose to my feet and finished dusting off my clothes as she said, 'Tell me, Perseus. What is the twice hero of Olympus doing in the forests while the Gods and half-bloods all celebrate the victory over the Earth itself?'