9. THE GOLDEN RING I

Year 706, Old Valendian Calendar
            Sky above the Royal city of Rabanastre

The Strahl extended her wings and glided over the wind like a swift. Only a far stretch of Heavy Cruiser Alexander's black tail could be seen from afar now. Ashe leant forwards trying to collect the last glimpses of the cruiser and a friend who she felt like departing forever.

"So, Basch-ojisama really has to go with Larsa-sama?" asked Penelo after sight of Alexander completely disappeared. She still could not believe that they had left Basch and Larsa in the massive airship.

"We've come to a conclusion that there's no other way," Ashe replied in low voice as if her voice was lost after the speech of liberty.

"They're gonna do fine," said Vaan comforting both of them, "and so are we. Now let's make for Rabanastre."

This was the first time Vaan steered an airship without Baltihier's supervision. He recalled what he had been taught. It was a proper landing, therefore having approaching Rabanastre, he grabbed the hand-held microphone and called for the Rabanastre control tower. Hope they're sane enough to work.

"This is, um, YPA-GB 47 'The Strahl' requesting a landing."

To his expectation, an air controller answered and guided them to the landing spot. The Strahl circled about the landing platforms, folded her wing and awkwardly flied down.

That was not the smoothest landing, but it at least worked and the Strahl, and they also, was in one piece when she arrived in the Aerodome. Vaan pressed the button to deploy the airstairs, and they were ready to make their appearance in the Royal city.

Ashe bit her lower lips. Rabanastre was her dear home, but it felt foreign today. She reluctantly stood up and made to the exit door. A few steps ahead of her, Vaan stretched his hand to assist Ashe descend the airstairs.

With Basch accompanying Larsa and Balthier missing in Bahamut, it all fell to Vaan to protect Ashe, and he sensed it. They were friends, and it was duty of friends to help each other. Ashe took his hand with a faint smile. Her hand still had a mild touch on it. They went downstairs.

They had fought together to defend Dalmasca, and they would stand together to rebuilt Dalmasca. Or that was he believed until their feet made it first step outside the Aerodome.

The Westgate familiar blue paved floor welcomed them with a throng of strange faces. It was the largest gathering of people he had seen since the new consul speech. They all dressed in fine clothes and long robes. When they saw the sight of Ashe, they all bowed and curtsied at the same time. Vaan felt his head hot; his heart beating fast. It was quite a scene.

However, what followed was anarchy. Friend or foe, before Vaan could tell, they rushed to Ashe's side and hauled her along. He and Penelo were pushed aside roughly and rudely. Their ears were buzzing by a great throw of 'your highness', 'my lady', and 'your majesty'.

Ashe was no better. She whirled around to find a familiar face in wide eyes just to see Vaan and Penelo was far behind her. She reached her slender hand out to them, and Vaan, too, tried to touch her hand with his. But there was a distance between them. A rift made by people.

So this is how it should be. That moment he realized the things stood between them and dropped his arm. Ashe still gazed at him moon-eyed. She tried harder to extend her reach, but eventually surrendered and gave herself to the flow of people towards the Royal Castle while Vaan turned his back and headed for his house.

Their gap, he could not make through then, now and forever. There was nothing he could do. From that moment on, Vaan started to mumble again stuff like 'I'm gonna be a sky pirate'. Not that he never mentioned them before, but it was different, so different that it dreaded him to come back Rabanastre despite his desperate homesick. The adventures were exciting, thrilling, and far too enough to keep his mind occupied until Penelo insisted to return Rabanastre.