Chapter 17

Elsa                                                                                                        Hiccup lifts his head up from the table and smiles a not very convincing smile.

"Are you all right Hiccup?" Rapunzel asks, wide-eyed. Hiccup shoots a tender smile her way.          "I'm fine, really. Astrid's...just a little mad at me, that's all. And planting that Venomous Tentacula wasn't much fun either."                                                .   It's okay buddy,"  Jack reassures, "women are very strange and confusing creatures. I wouldn't even bother with them." At this, I give him a slap in the arm. He pretends that it it hurts, even though I know it doesn't. Sometimes he can be infuriating, though I admit it's also kind of endearing.                          "Maybe she just needs some time to herself," I comfort, "in the meantime Professor Longbottom should be here soon." And when I hear the great doors open, I realize just how right I am. I can hear the professor moving towards us when Jack whispers to me.        

"He's gonna expect us to have written an essay about Dumbledore. What are we going to do?"            "What, did you expect me to write it? I was kind of busy!" Then Rapunzel comes in between us and breaks us up.                                                                                                                           "You guys, relax! Merida and I wrote the essay ourselves. What did you think we were doing in the corner alone?" Before I answer, Longbottom has strolled up to our table.  "Sorry for taking so long, kids. You can give me that essay now and then it's off to bed for each of you. Rapunzel wordlessly hands the scroll over to him, and we all file into a line down the hall. "Oh, and Rapunzel,"--I can see her jump slightly at her name-- "we can talk about your bullying situation tomorrow. You've been up long enough." We all let out a breath simultaneously once we have scurried out the door.            "Jeez, thanks for writing the essay guys. I was so busy not finding anything that I completely forgot." "I didn't know Merida was capable of writing an essay, especially within twenty minutes." I don't mean for it to sound so cold, but Merida takes it that way.                                                                 "Now just because I don't find schoolwork particularly interestin' doesn't mean I can't do it! So get off your high horse you--" Rapunzel grabs her by her shoulders and Jack grabs mine. I didn't realized how close we had gotten to each other until I am yanked away. Hiccup does his best to calm everyone down as I do my best to make eye contact with Merida in an effort to apologize. It's not much, but I think she gets the picture.                                                                                                               "We're going to have to find another way to learn about Cribrune," I tell everyone.                               "Actually," Hiccup steps forward, his metal leg creaking. "Maybe we should quit this whole Cribrune researching. It's not going anywhere, and we're not even sure if it's worth it." Now it's Jack's turn to speak.                                                                                                                                          "Hiccup, are you seriously quitting on us? I thought you were smarter than that."                                 "I thought you were all smarter than to go sticking your noses into places where you could get into danger."                                                                                                                                   "If we don't, then who will? How do you know that this won't lead anywhere? How do you know that it won't be worth it?" Merida growls. Hiccup finally seems to relent, so we start our walk down the hallway once more.                                                                                                                         "That was pretty brave off you," I mutter to Merida, bumping her shoulder.                                           "What, standing up to Hiccup? It was nothing. Besides, brave's kinda my thing. If I'm not brave, what am I?" She pokes her Gryffindor badge cheerfully.                                                                             "You're Merida," I say simply. She smiles warmly at me, which makes me feel much better about the whole night.                                                                                                                                   "Hey, you guys remember when you said I could tell you what Elsa read in that book when I felt comfortable?" Jack asks suddenly. Hiccup doesn't know what he is talking about, but he seems to be able tell that it's time to get serious.                                                                                                 "Yes?" Rapunzel urges softly. And with a sigh, Jack proceeds to tell Merida, Rapunzel, and Hiccup about his sister while we wander the shadowed corriders of the school.