Meeting Dwarves

I'm sitting behind a boulder near the Baranduin River waiting for a meal to pass by. Currently just listening to the water flowing over small pebbles and rocks.

Some time later a fair sized rabbit stops for a drink. I quickly transform into a wolf and watch it. The rabbit walked right past not noticing me being there. I quickly and quietly as possible crawl behind it and snatch my jaw shut with the rabbit in my mouth. When I feel the rabbit is dead, or very close, I sit down to eat.

I start nibbling on it, but then I hear very hushed voices in some nearby bushes. They weren't far off but it was hard to hear even with my enhanced hearing. I jump around, baring my teeth, ready to attack, but instead, am met with two frightened dwarves.

One is holding a sword while the other has an arrow aimed at me. They probably wanted a quick drink from the river. I sit down and start eating again, not caring whether they were there or not.

One of the dwarves approaches me as I finish eating, sword raised should I attack them. There was nothing left but a few bones with some fat still on them when I look up.

The dwarf with the sword drawn has shoulder length blonde hair. His hair, beard, and mustache are all neatly braided, and he has blue eyes.

The other dwarf with the bow has dark brown hair, a brunette, with no braids and not much of a beard. He had mostly bristles covering his chin and partially under his neck. He has a nice pair of brown eyes.

The blonde bends down a little and hesitantly reaches his hand out to let me. I shy away from his hand, still wary of the two dwarves.

He says in a calm low voice, "Shh. It's alright. We won't hurt you." He holds out his hand trying to get me to trust them. I hesitantly walk up and sniff his hand. I start to lick it after I was acquainted with his scent.

"That's it. What are you?" he asks. He gets on his knees while rubbing my back. "Female wolf from what I can tell. A rather large one too. Strange."

I slowly start walking towards the brunette trying to get his scent, but he raises his bow again. and takes a step backwards. I back up so I'm behind the blonde.

"Kili, she won't hurt you brother. She's just being friendly." says the blonde. I was going to let him approach me because I was scared to move, thinking he would kill me if I did.

He kneels on one knee while setting the bow beside him wanting me to approach him. I walk over and take in his scent. He looks to his brother for help and the blonde says, "Go on and pet her, Kili. She won't hurt you."

Kili extends his arm out a little farther and I lick it. He starts scratching behind my ear which I really enjoy. I lie down and he scratches my belly which feels great. Nobody has done that for a long while now.

He starts laughing as I lick his face. his brother comes over and pets my head saying,"Come on Kili. We'll be the last to arrive if we don't leave soon."

"But Fili!" Kili whines,"I think she likes me. Do you think we can keep her? Do you think Uncle will allow it?"

"We can bring her with us, but if Thorin says to let her go, then we will," replies Fili. He has rope in his hands and ties it around my neck. It ties it loose enough so it wouldn't choke me, but made it right enough so I couldn't run off. I wasn't going to anyway, and I don't mind the rope as long as he meant pull too hard.

The walk back to the path they were originally travelling on and walk towards the Shire. Why are they headed to the Shire?

The sun starts to set as we reach the borders of the Shire. Then the two dwarves start talking about meeting a hobbit. Oh! So that's why they are in the Shire. But why are they meeting a hobbit?

"What is his name?" asks Fili. "Boggins, I think it is," answers Kili. "They live in holes right? I wonder what it will be like."