Chapter Nine - A Different Kind of Berk

Berk. Yes, it was cold and harsh at times, but it was home to Vikings and dragons alike. 
    It had been a month since the Red Death's downfall, and the whole of Berk had adjusted to this new life. Dragons flocked from afar to visit the haven of dragon life, some stayed, some went, some made lifelong friends. 
    And still Hiccup kept his secret of his dragon self. From almost everyone, anyway. 

    Three weeks earlier. 

Hiccup was in his workroom, designing a new tail for Toothless, when his father squeezed through the doorway. 'Dad,' he said in surprise. Stoick hardly ever came in here, mainly because he knocked everything over. 
    'Hiccup,' he said. 'We need to talk... About... This.' He gestured to his son. 
    Hiccup dropped the pencil he'd been holding. 'You just pointed to all of me.'
    'Well, most of ya,' Gobber somehow found a place to stand in the cramped room. 'That bit's my handiwork.'
    'Son, how long did you think you could hide it from me?'
    'Oh Gods,' Hiccup said, again dropping the pencil, which he'd just picked up. 'I don't know, Dad, I just...'
    Stoick pulled up a nearby stool. 'You were out for nearly a week. We couldn't let anyone in, not even Astrid, no matter how much she begged, because... You grew wings. Why have you got Night Fury wings, Hiccup? And how long has... This, been going on?'
    Hiccup put the pencil on the table. 'Well, er, the wings I only knew about when I woke up, so not that long. For why, I have no idea.' A thought struck him. 'How many people know?'
    'Just me, Gobber and Gothi.'
    'Please don't tell anyone else.' Should I tell him? He deserves to know, I suppose. And Gobber too, Hiccup thought. Or maybe I should show them... 'Meet me in the Cove at Raven point, tonight at dusk,' he told the bewildered Vikings. 

***

Ok... Ok... Hiccup thought. He was on top of a rock in the Cove, wings stretched out and senses alert. They should be here. Around about... Now. 
    'Hiccup?'
    He smiled and opened his eyes, which currently had slitted pupils. Stoick and Gobber were coming into the Cove, only just managing to squeeze through the gap that Hiccup found so easy to slip through. 'Glad to see you could make it,' he said, then glanced at the sky. 'Just in time, too.'
    'In time for what?' Gobber asked, also glancing at the sky. 
    Any second now, Hiccup thought. The silvery disc of the moon peeked over the edge of the Cove. It was time. 'This,' he said, with as much Hiccup flair as he could muster. 
    His father and the blacksmith gaped at him as he transformed into a dragon, their expressions so close to that of a fish that he laughed. They both shut their mouths with snap. 'But - but your a dragon!' Gobber spluttered. 
    'Thank you, for summing that up,' Hiccup rumbled, even though he knew they wouldn't understand him. He crouched and gestured for them to get on, at which they both raised their eyebrows. 
    'No, I can't, son,' Stoick said, holding up a hand. Hiccup stretched out a wing and drew his father to him. 
    'Oh, come on, dad. Just this once.'
    Unwillingly Stoick climbed onto his back, the weight of a fully grown Viking Chief pressing him down. He looked at Gobber, who held up his good hand and backed away. 'I prefer to keep me foot on the ground, laddie. You two go, I'm going back to me forge.' With that he limped away, almost getting stuck in the rocks on his way out. 
    Hiccup snorted. Even in dragon form he still got called laddie. With a warning growl he sprang into the air, giving mighty flaps of his wings to get out of the Cove. Stoick was heavy, especially with him tensed up like a rock. As soon as they were high enough he levelled off and glided below the clouds, the moonlight illuminating them in silvery white. The Chief's small eyes widened at the sight, the moon reflected in them, and he raised a hand to brush the cloud much like Astrid had done. 'Hiccup,' he whispered. 'This is... Amazing.' A broad grin lit his face, and so did one on Hiccup's. Life on Berk, with dragons abound, was going to be brilliant.

***

Out in seas unknown, a warship the likes of which had never been seen before groaned through the waves. Smaller ships followed behind, all heavily armoured. At the bow, a man with dark dreadlocks and a dragon skin cape stood, speaking to someone in the shadows. With a growl like an enraged Nightmare he pointed his staff at the hidden person, the seed pods built into the end of it rattling, the sound sinisterly similar to the Red Death's control. The shadowed person growled back and dived over the side of the ship, a streak of white and grey on the dull waters. A humongous splash followed, waves the size of the tallest trees crashed over the side of the warship, soaking the caped man. With the clanging of metal the ship was pulled forward with immense, unseeable force, the ocean foaming in protest. 
    The cloaked man chuckled a mad laugh. Everything was falling into place. Now all he needed, was dragons.

891 words, short but sweet, I hope XD

ARGHHH! How can it be so hard to save eight words?!!!