15

Naomi's P.O.V.

June 24, 1962

I finally got back into work this week, it was going on 3 weeks living here in the Valley, which means that I probably won't be living here much longer.

I walked in the front door, about to start my shift, when our boss, Ted, walked out of the break room. I looked closely at his movements. He had cherry color lipstick on his neck and what seems to be a hickey forming right next to it.

I didn't make it seem like I noticed and walked over to the counter, till I then saw Lindy walking out after him. She putting her hair but up in a ponytail, and smirking.

That was till both Ted and Lindy saw me. That's when his smile dropped and her smirk continued to grow.

"Good morning Ted," I paused as I leaned against the counter, "Lindy."

He swallowed whatever lump was forming in his throat and looked between me and Lindy.

"Good morning Naomi." He tired to smile.

"Ted, go to the bathroom, you got a hickey forming and lipstick on your neck." I paused as I looked at Lindy, "and you look like a clown with the smudged red lipstick over your face."

She immediately covered her mouth and ran to the break room.

I chuckled to myself and hopped up on the chair, and pulled out the latest magazine that happened to be sitting on the shelf.

The bell for the door went off, causing me to look up from the article of 'hot or not', seeing a very smiley Benny.

"Hi Naomi." He started.

"Hi Benny." I smiled back pushing my magazine to the side.

"I came here to ask you something."

"Okay." I let him continue.

"What time do you get off of work?"

"Is that seriously what you are asking?" I asked putting my head on my hand.

"Yes it is." He stated coming closer to me, leaning on the other side on the counter.

"I get off at 2." I answered.

"Good, after work go home and get ready, I'm taking you out tonight, just me and you. Dress comfortable, yet casual." He smirked, pointed at me, and smacked the counter, "I'll be picking you up at 5. My mom has offered to watch Lucy. So don't worry."

"Isn't Beth a CNA nurse? Doesn't she work night shift?" I asked confused.

"She got the day off. Be ready at 5." He smiled before running out of the store before I could even say anything else.

I finally got off work, and it was going on 3 now. I was heading to the daycare center that was again, right by my work, to pick up Lucy. It was the cheapest place here, and they specialize with autism kids.

I walk there to door, heading to the counter.

"Hi Naomi." The lady at the front desk greeted me.

"Hello Ms. Wiskinson." I greeted back.

"Lucy is in the blue room." She said pointing back to all the rooms.

I nodded making my way back there and opening the blue colored door, to see Lucy sitting at one of the many tables and was looking at a book.

"Come on babygirl, lets get out of here." She looked over at me, and smiled as she ran over to me.

"Hi ni!" She exclaim holding up her arms.

I smiled picking her up and walking out of the door making sure to say good bye to Ms. Wiskinson, and walking back on my way home.

"So here's the plan;" I paused looking at Lucy, "Tonight Benny is going to be taking me out, so you are going to be spending a few hours with Ms. Beth okay?"

"Otay." She nodded and then asking me to let her down.

Lately, since I've put her into that daycare, they have been teaching her different things, like how to talk, her colors, numbers, the things that she'll need for when she gets into kindergarten.

Her talking has been so much better since we have moved here, now she can actually talk to us.

We walked into the neighborhood, me and Lucy kicking a rock together on the sidewalk. I laugh as Lucy went to kick it but missed, causing her to fall down. Which then caused her to start crying.

We finally got up to house and that's when I started hearing screaming from inside.

"Damnit." I mumbled opening the door and barging in.

Seeing mother screaming at Cam who was standing there with baseball bat and glove in his hand.

"Leave him alone!" I yelled at her.

"DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO YOUNG LADY!" She turned around pointing her finger at me.

"Cameron, go put your stuff down and come back out here." I commanded at Cam, but never leaving my eyesight with mother.

"Come on Lucy, let's go get ready." I said not letting go of Lucy's hand.

I started walking down the hallway, when I heard the stomps of feet coming towards me, and someone pulling my hair.

"OW! YOU BITCH!" I screamed as I turned around.

"DON'T YOU WALK AWAY FROM ME!" She screamed.

"AND WHY NOT!" I screamed over her, "I ain't got shit to say to you, and the only thing you have to say to me is shit I don't want to hear." I paused and looked at her, which didn't last long.

I saw her throw her arm back, and swing it'd around freaking town before getting a nice, solid, punch into my right cheek.

My head shot over to the left with her hand from the impact. I brought my hand up to cheek, and looked at her with disbelief.

"You don't understand respect do you, I fucking told you not to talk to me the way you do, SO FUCKING DON'T TALK TO ME LIKE THAT." She started off calm then changed into yelling.

I turned around gripping onto Lucy and walking into my room. I start to get ready for the date tonight, not really caring what I was putting on. Which was my same old jeans, a black tank-top and a reds baseball jersey.

I get some toys and things Lucy also plays with, putting them into a bag, and hurry to walk out. Cam stood at his door waiting for me to be done, then we all walked out. Coming to the living room, my mother was already passed out on the couch with a whiskey bottle in her hand.

I hang my head in shame and walk out the door, making sure I was the last one out and closing the door.

"So what is the plan?" Cam ask shoving his hands into his pockets and looking up at me, squinting one eye from the sun.

"You're going over to Smalls, you don't have to stay there, but I don't want you being in that house like you were when I wasn't home. Speaking of, why were you home?" I stopped crossing my arms.

"At first she wasn't home, then when I got into the house, the door reopened and her walking in with a box of different liquor. She then saw me and started screaming at me." He paused looking at the sidewalk, then back up at me, "she hasn't done that in awhile. It felt weird."

I nodded, "Come on, I need to talk to Mrs. Smalls and then get over to Benny's, and reexplain this to him." I said pointing at my cheek.

He nodded and we made the one house away journey to the 'Smalls' well, I don't know Bills last name. But you know what I mean.

I knocked on the screen door since the big door was open, and Mrs. Smalls came into view. She wiped her hands off before getting to the door, that was when she noticed my cheek.