Chapter 78

I look up, I see the sight that I’m now all too used to seeing. A grey sky. The clouds are again gathered together, impossibly dark posing the threat of rain but even if it was to rain I wouldn’t mind. I wouldn’t care if it turned my hair into a frizzy mess after hours of styling this morning, I wouldn’t care if it took half my makeup off my face with each rain drop because I’d still have my smile. I can’t stop this growing grin that’s been permanently plastered on my face since stepping out the car. My cheeks are now starting to ache ever so slightly but it can be expected when I look at the woman that has her hand grasped in mine. It can be expected when I can see the genuine happiness glowing on Cheryl’s face. It’s because we’re back in her home town, I know how much she loves everything about this small city that in my opinion isn’t all that great. We’re not looking at big fancy houses with little front gardens enclosed in posh fences or a community where there’s multiple little café’s and decent little shops. We see block after block of high risen council flats, old looking and imperfect. Terraced houses that seem to be crumbling down but still behind one of those doors is Cheryl’s family. To Cheryl this place is perfectly imperfect, this is her home and you know how the saying goes. Home is where the heart is and when I look at Cheryl looking as happy as ever I find myself agreeing, I can tell just how much this place means to her.

I’ve only been here one time before and it’s fair to say we didn’t have the greatest of times but this time will be different. I’m hoping there isn’t going to be any late night confessions after a bag throwing argument or any new faces I find out I’m being kept in the dark about. I just want to enjoy this time away from all my worries and problems back home. I’ve promised myself this time will be better, I know it will be and despite only just getting here Cheryl is planning on us having a night out down the Big market. I agreed not entirely sure on what that is exactly. We’re going to paint the ‘toon’ red, apparently. Whatever that means anyways, that’s another one of the many things I don’t understand the meaning of. I’m looking forward to seeing my extended family again, it’s been too long. Cheryl has Paisley walking beside her with her hand in hers. I listen to her point out the surroundings informing her of what she used to get up to while growing up. Of course this morning Paisley woke up wanting to wear that infamous Newcastle United shirt Cheryl got her while on tour but it was a struggle to get it on, we managed to squeeze it over her head and despite it not fitting as well as it once did she refused to wear anything else. I didn’t realise how much she has grown. It looks like we’ll have to get her a new one.

“Do you remember who lives here?” Cheryl asks her while crouching to the wet ground. She points her finger at the familiar house and Paisley’s eyes light up as she looks from Cheryl’s face, up to me. She pulls her expectantly cold hand out of Cheryl’s and she runs through the wooden gate that’s hanging off its hinges up to the white door.

“Nana Joan!” She’s shouting and Cheryl straightens up while laughing quietly. She slides her fingers back through mine and goes on to drag me up the path Paisley has just sprinted up. She knocks on the door with her white knuckles and stands waiting for someone, anyone to open it. Its not long before we see that petite little lady I’ve grown to love like a second mother stood in the doorway welcoming us into her humble little house and Cheryl’s second home. She hurries us inside with a smile matching her daughter’s.

“Look at you!” She gasps and in less than a second she’s lifted Paisley up making us all laugh as she struggles at first but once she’s sat on her hip her weight doesn’t seem to be an issue. Joan holds her hand onto Paisleys head over her soft blonde waves to kiss at her cheek repeatedly without stopping. Paisley raises her shoulder as she bursts into the most adorable fit of giggles and Joan stops to hold an arm out to Cheryl which she quickly rushes into to get a tight one armed hug that i guess she’s been looking forward to all morning.