y o u b e l o n g t o m e

"i know (i know) you belong to somebody new. but, tonight, you belong to me."

peter had listened to the song michelle was playing on her iPod. he clearly had some kind of look on his face because she said, "sounds creepy, right? i love this version. the other ones sound sweeter. " she said the word like it left a bad taste in her mouth.
——-
he remembered the day like it was yesterday. but it was not. that was three years ago. peter and michelle were both now headed off to college. michelle was leaving tomorrow morning. early. she was going to yale, just like she always dreamed.

peter was going off to mit next week. so, he had planned a special goodbye he was currently sitting on a set of swings at the wild flower meadow playground with in alley pond park. michelle had said she liked the way it looked at night. how does it look? you may ask. creepy. but, peter knows, michelle likes creepy.

"hi," he heard michelle's soft voice speak. "why did you ask to meet me here?"

"well, mj, you're leaving tomorrow. early." he reached out a hand, expectantly. she took his in hers on instinct. "this is my way of saying goodbye."

they started off on a path as michelle laughed. "come on, peter. it is only a 2 hour car ride away."

"but, we don't have cars! according to google maps and the bus schedule, it would take 4 hours to get to either place from the other. the train rides were slightly faster but i don't do trains anymore. are you willing to take a 4 hour trip every few days? and of course, there are classes and we will both, hopefully, make other friends-" peter argued until michelle cut him off.

"peter. we can switch off every other weekend. i'm willing to at least, are you?" he nodded as she continued. "and there is no way i am making friends. it took me over a decade to make friends with you wand another year to make friends with ned and betty and the rest of the decathlon team."

"it took you a year after you and i became friends to be friends with ned?"

"oh, yeah... i mean, you are likable. ned is, well ned. no offense to him. you were very persistent. he was chill. i did like him more at first, but," she stopped, turning to him, "you were persistent."

she leaned toward him, seemingly ready to kiss him. but, she was interrupted by a familiar piano riff.

dun, dun, dun, duh-dun, dun

she smiled, "peter."

he stopped walking. "will you dance with me, michelle?"

her smile grew bigger as she nodded. she stepped towards him, wrapping her arms around his neck. he wrapped his around her waist.

"-but tonight you belong to me."

"i still cannot believe believe you love this song so much," peter chuckled.

"i thought you would know by now," michelle laughed as they swayed. "i love mystery novels, my favorite flower is the black dahlia. not because it's pretty, but, because of the murder. i love slow dancing in a dark and shadowy forest. and i love listening to little girls from the fifties singing. peter, if you couldn't tell, i love creepy."

they both laughed once again as they continue to sway slowly.

"way down by the stream
how sweet it will seem
once more just to dream
in the moonlight"

"my honey i know
with the dawn
that you will be gone
but tonight you belong to me."

peter sang along, "it's weird how perfect this song is for our very situation."

michelle laughed some more,
"my honey i know
with the dawn, that you will be gone
but tonight you belong to me
just little old me"

as peter turned off the music, michelle sighed, "well, peter, this has been a wonderful goodbye." she smiled smiled as she let her arms fall down to his hands, gripping them. "i'm gonna miss you, you know."

"i'm gonna miss you, too," he responded. "you said it yourself, we'll see each other every weekend."

"that's doesn't change the fact. you know, i love you. more than all of the creepy, peter. more than any song, book, moment or even murder. i love you most. i love you more than anything."

"well, mj, i love you. i love you more than anything."

and they kissed. finally.
——-
as they walked out the same way they came, michelle started to sing.

"i know (i know)
you belong to somebody new
but tonight you belong to me..."

——-
what do you think of this one?
i have had this song stuck in my head for the past three days, so i give you this.

——-

771 words