The Saddest Day Of My Life (Part 1)

"Are you sure about that, Lee?" I laughed as I prepared the stuffing. "I think Ironman would beat Batman in a heartbeat."

It was Thanksgiving afternoon and my sister Leigh-Anne and I was tasked with preparing the stuffing and mixed vegetables while the turkey was cooking in the oven.

And we were having an important discussion: Who would win? Ironman or Batman?

"Girl, Batman was trained by ninjas," she countered, mixing the vegetables in the pot on the stove. "What training Ironman got? Nothing."

"Okay, and? Ironman shoots energy blasts from his hands. Batman can't beat that."

"He can find his way around it. He's got cool gadgets and is a master detective, so--"

"Ironman is a freaking genius!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands in the air. "What good would those tiny gadgets do against a genius in a ironsuit? What's he gonna do? Throw ninja stars at him?"

"Girrrl," Leigh-Anne rolled her eyes and regained her focus on the vegetables.

"Y'all better hurry up with that stuffing. Time ain't waiting on nobody," my mother came in the kitchen with 6-year-old Charlie in her arms.

"Yeah, Andrea," Leigh-Anne sneered, smirking up and down. "Hurry up with the stuffing."

"You know what? You just focus on those vegetables over there, that's what you do."

"Alright," Mom said, ending the playful bickering. "I mean it, y'all hurry up and watch the turkey. You know your father don't like burnt food."

"Dad does like burnt food," I reminded her, not hiding the playful smirk plastered on my face.

"Then, I don't like burnt food, Miss Smart Mouth," Mom snapped. But I see a hint of a smile on her face.

"Okay, we got it, Mom," Leigh-Anne assured her.

Then something clicked in my brain. "Hey, Mom," I called her before she left. "Is Janice coming over today?"

"Yeah, she said she'll be here at 2," Mom told me. Janice is my 20-year-old sister. She moved out a year ago to New Jersey and went to college as an art major.

"Now, I gotta put Charlie to bed," Mom said. "You two continue."

"Mommy, I want 'Drea to put me to bed," Charlie complained into Mom's shoulder.

"Charlie, she's working," she cooed.

"But I want her to sing to me."

"Don't worry, I'm almost done," I told my little brother. "I'll be up there in a minute." I gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

"Okay," he finally said, leaning into Mom's shoulder. Then Mom softly bounced him up and down, soothing him as she took him upstairs.

When I finally finished the stuffing, and won the Ironman vs. Batman agrument victoriously, I trotted upstairs to my little brothers bedroom.

He was tucked in his bed with Mom trying to get him to sleep. But he seemed too stubborn to close his eyes, which lit up when I entered the room. What can I say? I have that effect on people.

Mom quietly walked up to me. "He keeps asking for you."

"Well, I'm here now."

"Did you finish the stuffing?"

"It's on the counter, puffed and ready," I declared proudly.

"Alright, I'll leave you two alone."

Mom left the room and Charlie smiled widely, showing some of missing teeth. I went to him and knelt down next to him.

"Hey, squirt," I said.

"Sing," he said simply.

Nice to see you too.

I breathed a laugh. "Well, what do you want me to sing?"

"Somethin' nice and softie," he told me, looking adorable as ever.

"Okay," I opened my mouth and sang loudly, "Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed--"

"Nonono," Charlie said, laughing. "That's not softie."

"Really?" I said, acting innocent.

"No!"

"Aww," I tickled his stomach and he laughed even more.

"Stop it, stop it!" He pleaded, kicking his feet as he laughs hysterically. I finally did.

"Okay, okay. I got one."

"A softie one," he reminded me.

"Okay, I got it," I assured him. I then gently rubbed his forhead and softly began,

"Hush now, my baby
Be still, love, don't cry
Sleep as your off by the stream
Sleep and remember my last lullaby
So, I'll be with you when you dream."

Charlie's eyes slowly closed as I sang. Then when I finshed he drifted off to sleep, his chest softly rising and falling.

I smiled and kissed his forhead, making him smile in his sleep. I slowly closed the door, leaving it slightly ajar and started downstairs.

My sister was calling me, claiming that I purposely left her there to do the food all by herself. I laughed silently and shook my head.

And, in that moment, everything was blissful, carefree and joyful...

And then that moment ended.