Chapter 2

One evening we were sitting at Masal cafe, here, just around the corner. We were drinking Turkish tea and sharing Kunefe, that we both love. I remember how he took my hand and slowly covered it with kisses, finger after finger. And how he then opened my hand and gave a firm kiss right in the middle of my palm. I was blushing. I was in heaven.

It felt so good, but I took my hand back right away and whispered to him playfully, "Hon, you are embarrassing me, you know that? Here, eat Kunefe instead." I started feeding him from my fork. We were joking, we were laughing, we were happy.

I'm saying "we," but how can I be sure about him? Was he happy because he had feelings for me, or maybe he just enjoyed the time with another woman he thought he conquered? I don't know.

I remember we exited the cafe, crossed Emmons Ave to the waterfront and watched the swans swimming in the water. He was standing behind me, holding his hands around my waist. I thought to myself how that scene reminded me of romance movies. I hated romance because everything in those movies was a total bs, so fake. But he started kissing my neck, and I started losing my mind.

I thought to myself, Fuck it, maybe romance and shit is actually for real.

At that time, it seemed for real. But nevertheless, in a few moments I pulled myself up, and asked him directly, "What do you really want from me?"

His reaction was not what I expected. He pulled himself away from me, made a few steps back and leaned against a waterfront rail.

The warmth and security I felt just moments ago turned into a cold breeze of uncertainty. I was confused and anxious while he seemed confident and very cold. I kept looking at him expecting to hear at least something, but he kept gazing at the water as if I weren't there at all.

Finally, the need to break the silence became too strong to resist anymore. "Baby, what's wrong?" I asked with a trembling voice.

He didn't even turn his head to look at me.

Moments ago, when I asked what he wanted from me, I thought that question would be my last line of defense. It would be fun to see him trying to overcome it. But apparently, that was the line of defense I couldn't hold because he had already conquered my emotions. He had already conquered me. I didn't want him to leave.

I walked towards him. I was so anxious that my body was shaking. I behaved so weak, but couldn't help myself. I placed my hand on his shoulder, made myself smile and tried to sound playful hoping to win back his good attitude towards me. "Hon, are you ok?"

I hadn't done anything wrong, but for some reason his cold behavior made me feel guilty.

He finally turned towards me. "Lola, what do you want from me?"

I was stunned. He turned my question back at me. Now I felt so stupid for asking it in the first place. I started talking with hesitance as of a 5-year-old kid,

"What do I want from you? Well, first of all...you are kind of a nice guy, you have a good sense of humor. Also, you are very interesting, we can talk about a lot of things together and I don't get bored with you."

"Ok, that's enough! I can tell you one thing, Lola. When a guy kisses your hands, it means you are not just another girl in his life, it means you are very special and very dear to him. You hear me? But if it doesn't mean too much to you then let's just-"

I didn't let him finish. Instead, I moved forward and kissed him on the lips. I was kissing him with so much hunger it looked like I wanted to eat his tongue, so he would not be able to say the words that almost left his mouth.