↠Mudblood - 024

"don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great"—M U D B L O O D—

M U D B L O O D

Here it comes. Here it comes all crashing down. It had been two months since the 'Arrogant toe rag' situation that left James bitter for a few days. The dark and cold winter of Scotland had ended and it was already April. Lily and Sage were all over the place studying for the mock N.E.W.T.'s they would be taking the next month. James and Sirius had been making fun of the young queen and study habits. Said habits consisted of her spending every spare moment studying. But, as always, she ignored the boys' teasings and had Lily join her in her efforts. Her and the redhead would spend nights just sitting in their bed reading and reviewing material that they thought useful.

It was exciting to the young girls when the first nice day of the year was upon them, and they could go and sit in the sun. The two had become much closer than they had been previous years, which made Sage immensely happy to have another girl around. The two Gryffindor girls sat in the grass by the black lake with Sage's siblings in their company. Sage thought it would be good to have Jasper study with them, as the two had taken the O.W.L.S the year prior, and Eden just for the experience.

"Okay, wait... The Draught of Peace potion should be green, right?" Jasper looked to his older sister for the answer. "Close, it should be turquoise," Sage answered him, finally looking up from her Herbology book. "I'm surprised you remembered that," Lily laughed lightly. "Why?" Sage was confused. "You hate potions! I helped you with almost every single assignment last year!" Sage laughed and nodded. "That's true, but it's the reason I remember. You practically forced it into my brain," Eden and Jasper laughed at their sister and her friend.

Silence came back among them again as they all focused on their books. The only sound the group could hear was the sounds of their peers' laughter and the trees blowing in the wind. It was peaceful. There wasn't much of that anywhere anymore. Sage froze as she heard the familiar laughter of her four friends. "Bloody hell," She mumbled to herself. She knew that Severus Snape was not that much farther away from them with Avery and Mulciber.

Sage kept quiet about hearing the boys and tried to focus back on her book, but was struggling, knowing that when her friends started messing with Severus, which they undoubtedly would, Lily would go running to his defense, and those Slytherin boys were over there. "Damn it..." Sage was mumbling nonsense under her breath. Eden gave her older sister a weird look. She didn't know what to do. The boys' laughter was getting more obnoxious, and she knew Lily would notice any second.

Lily's head snapped up when Severus yelled out in pure frustration. "Oh, those bloody arrogant-" She cut herself off and slammed her book closed. Jasper and Eden stared at the two as Lily stormed off to go yell at the Marauders and Sage quickly trying to catch up with her. "Going over there anger isn't going to help anything, Lily!" Sage wanted to calm her down. It wasn't working.

"James Potter! You put him down right this second!" Lily's voice held authority as if she was yelling at a child who had just gotten into trouble. "Oh, where's the fun in that, Lilypad?" James asked her with a smirk. "Don't you call me that! I said put him down! He hasn't done anything to you!" Lily continued to yell, her face as red as her hair. "Sirius," Sage called out to her boyfriend with a frown. "Come on, love, it's just a bit of fun," Sirius tried to get her to understand. "Sirius, you're humiliating the poor boy, have James put him down!" Sage started to raise her voice too when Sirius brushed her off.

Lily stepped closer to James. "Leave him alone right now you arrogant toe rag!" James put his hand over his chest, mocking pain. "Your words wound me, Lilypad," He faked hurt in his voice. "It's going to be a lot more than my words hurting you in a second, Potter," Lily threatened him. "Sirius, I'm not playing games with you anymore, put him down, now."

"You should be more grateful, Snivellus, you have this lovely Lilypad and the actual Queen of England coming to your aid!" James turned away from Lily to give his attention to the upside-down boy. Sage looked livid at James's teasing instead of helping. She turned around only to see her younger siblings standing, staring at the scene in disbelief.

"I do not need the help of those filthy little mudbloods!" Everyone stopped in shock. Lily's face dropped and her eyes started to water. Avery and Mulciber laughed quietly and whispered things along the lines of agreement and insults towards James and Sirius. James quickly let Severus down and grabbed him by his collar. "You apologize to them, now!" He was practically screaming in Severus's face. "No... He doesn't have to, he finally spoke what he believes," Lily brushed off James demands and took off towards the castle.

Sirius turned to Sage. "I-" He was stopped. "I blame you two." Sage looked at both of them darkly turned away to go find Lily. Jasper walked over the boys. "I highly suggest you all find great ways to make up for what just happened here because it will be hell if you don't."

———

Sage found Lily sitting on one of the benches in an empty corridor. "Lils," She called out softly to her friend. "I never thought I would ever be saying this, but I'm thankful that James and Sirius decided to pick on him. Brought the truth out of him." Lily whipped the tears from her face sniffled. "I don't believe that Severus meant what he said Lils." Sage sat next to her and wrapped her in a side hug. "Sage, let's face it, he hangs out with bad people who preach blood purity. He obviously stopped valuing our friendship a long time ago and took up their ideals," Sage couldn't help but look at the girl with pity.

Lily huffed and started going again. "And he straight up insulted you with no hesitation! He knows you're my friend, and he still didn't care! I'm surprised Sirius didn't beat the holy hell out of him!" Lily couldn't stop her anger. She was shaking, but she also had tears streaming down her face. "I think James gripping him gave him the idea of what they were feeling, Lils," Sage told her with a straight face. "Listen, Lils, that boy cares about you, and I know what he said was unacceptable and cruel, but he's you could see how much he regretted what he said as soon as it left his mouth." Lily shook her head and choked out a sob. "If he cared he wouldn't have even thought of those words." Lily covered her face and Sage pulled her into another hug.

———

Sage was laying in the commons room on the couch. Her sister had given her back her books that she abandoned by the lake. She was reviewing her notes when her boyfriend and James walked into the commons room and sat by her on the chairs. "How bad?" Was all James said. Sage sighed and placed the book on her lap. "You both screwed up today. Bad." James pinched the bridge of his nose and leaned back. "Lily and I both demanded you stop, and you just wouldn't listen. What you did today was cruel, and uncalled for. I know it was just a prank and little game for you boys, but it just ruined a long friendship, and hurt Lily in ways you two wouldn't understand." Sage looked at them disappointed.

"I think Lily will get over it sooner than later, but I can't promise anything," She was talking to James now specifically. "She upset, and I would offer her a sincere apology," James nodded and left the room, leaving just Sage and Sirius.

Sirius looked at her expectantly. "Do me a favor, love?" Sirius smiled and nodded. "Anything, Princess,"

"Just listen to me next time."

———