Prologue

"Ready... GO!" A man in the centre of the battle ring waved a red flag in the air before stepping back. The ring was lighted with a street lamp.
A black pitbull rushed over to her opponent. Using her strong hind legs, she sprung at a nasty-looking bulldog.
The brown bulldog dodged, leaving the black pitbull hitting the ground and rolling. She leapt to her paws, her indigo eyes focusing on her target as she shook the dust off her pelt. The bulldog crawled a few steps backwards and then broke into a charge. Leaping over his opponent as the black pitbull ducked and landed on his legs.
You can do it, Risk! The pitbull encouraged herself.
Risk let her gaze travel around, to the crowd of people cheering loudly on each side, to her owner behind her then the bulldog's owner on the other side; both concentrated with a "You better win this" look on there faces, at the full moon being uncovered by the clouds, then back to her target. The brown dog was still out of breath. Suddenly, something caught Risk's attention and her eyes flung back to the sky. There were stars that shone brighter then the rest, Risk connected the dots and was rewarded with a white outline of a random dog on top of another dog who had a bite taken out of his neck.
Risk tilted her head in confusion then shook away the thought. The brown bulldog backed up, ready to charge again.
An idea popped inside the black pitbull's head before she crouched down and snarled. As soon the bulldog was close enough, she stepped aside and used her hind legs to kick the attacker to the other side. Watching the the brown dog rolling on his side, Risk saw this opportunity to pin the dog to the ground. And that's what she did. The bulldog tried to wriggle and loosen her grippe. He even managed to use his foot to smack his opponent's snout, scratching and leaving a scar next to the pitbull's nose.
"KILL HIM" Her owner shouted.
Risk widened her eyes, Kill him?
She thought of the bright stars again. Was that random dog... Me? Am i suppose to bite his neck and kill him? The black pitbull looked down at the brown bulldog. Is that what we're supposed to do here? Doesn't Sora care about me?
Memories flashed threw her head, of how hungry she was living with her owner, of how she was usually kept in a cage instead of running free, of how she was always told to rip apart some cute-looking plushies; but she only saw all that as a sign of affection. She thought maybe her owner only wanted to keep her safe and healthy. Looking at it now, Sora only wanted to use her for this stupid battle. She probably only wanted to make Risk insane and bloodthirsty for other dogs. But what does Sora get by winning this battle? The pitbull wrinkled her forehead, Money.
While Risk was thinking, the brown bulldog got the opportunity to use his hind legs to push his opponent off of him and pinned her down.
Risk gulped, or maybe I'm the one who's neck is gonna get bitten. She glared at him and performed the same movements as her target did, using her hind legs and pinning him down.
Here goes nothing. The black pitbull closed her eyes and went for the neck, blood splattered on her muzzle and soaked her fur. Once her target let out an ear-piercing yowl and stopped moving, Risk rose to her paws and opened her eyes. She looked down at the lifeless dog, his eyes were rolled back and his neck was soaked with his blood.
Everyone was quiet.
After a short pause.
The crowd went wild.
Risk didn't know why but she felt proud of herself. She also felt guilty not only for killing the poor dog, but for being proud about it. She looked up at the sky, the bright stars were starting to fade away. She looked over at her owner, Sora was in front of disappointed teenage boy as a man holding a flag in one of his hand angrily snatched the money he was holding and happily gave it to Sora.
After, Risk's gaze flew over to the caged dogs in the dark corner and she barely felt proud anymore. Their gazes were those of fear, anger, but most importantly, disgust.
The black pitbull's nose twitched as she sensed someone approaching behind her, it was Sora! Risk wagged her tail, hoping Sora was proud of her for winning. But the dark-haired teenager barely looked at her. She grabbed her dog's collar and tugged her back into the cage in the back of her uncle's van that she was borrowing. Risk whimpered sadly.
I hate her, I'll escape and be happy. Just wait and see! She told herself, the room darkening as Sora closed the doors.