Chapter 321 to 325

Zacznij od początku

The matriarch's body wasn't as hearty and hale as it had been in the past. She was starting to struggle with the estate's management. Her daughter's suggestion sounded perfectly reasonable to her. Since she didn't want to handle these trivialities any longer, she might as well hand it off to her daughter-in-law.

Her daughter-in-law had been resting for so many years. It was indeed time for her to take the mantle back up again.

Gears were turning in Eldest Madam's head as she thought of how best to gouge another cut from the funds after handing the public accounts over to Countess Jing'an.

Once the account books reached her sister-in-law's hands, it would then be her business to take care of making ends meet. It wouldn't have anything to do with her.

While He Ying was deep in thought, the matriarch brought up an abrupt question. "Miss Ying, how are Nianzhen's marriage prospects going?"

Since the new year had passed, Matriarch He had been busy looking at potential grooms for Pan Nianzhen. Her friends had passed on some candidates, but her daughter and granddaughter had rejected all of them.

Actually, she wasn't very satisfied with the choices presented either. Most of them were from minor officials' families, or some poor households. If the potential candidate had some money, then it was only because they were a lowly merchant.

Unfortunately, the matriarch hadn't taken Pan Nianzhen's status into consideration while thinking this.

Other than being linked to House Jing'an through her mother, she didn't have any other redeeming qualities to her. Her mother was also a widow who had abandoned her husband's house. In her younger days, her mother had also made a bad name for herself.

It hadn't been easy to collect this list of men without any bad reputation.

Actually, He Ying didn't like the potential candidates because she had her mind set on He Erlang.

She secretly glanced at her mother to gauge her mood before pretending to be furious. "All of them are looking down on us! Look at who they've recommended. Miss Zhen has been suffering with me ever since her childhood. How could I let her marry just anyone? Wouldn't she have to continue suffering under her mother-in-law after marrying then?"

Ch. 322 He Ying's Confidence

Pan Nianzhen wordlessly bowed her head as if she had suffered a major grievance.

Matriarch He felt a little guilty in her heart. She sighed and said, "It was all my fault for agreeing with your father's decision to marry you off to Siyang that year."

He Ying hastily shook her head. "Mother, what are you saying? It's already been so many years. I've already moved on from what had happened. At that time, I was the one in the wrong, causing Mother to lose face."

After spending time together these past few days, He Ying had already noticed that her mother wasn't as sharp as before. She has become more muddle-headed and soft-hearted as she got older. Every time she acknowledged her mistakes and acted pitiful, her mother would be especially affectionate to her.

She had tried this trick many times and it had worked every time so far.

As expected, Matriarch He's face was filled with remorse. Her heart ached as she patted her daughter's hand. "Don't worry, Miss Ying. Mother will find a good husband for Nianzhen."

Pan Nianzhen was her daughter's only child, so she couldn't bear letting her suffer.

A corner of He Ying's lips curled in celebration of her success, hidden by the shadows falling over her face.