Ch. 9 Visiting the Bride's Family Part 2

When Chu Lian saw from the corner of her eyes that one of Madam Rong's senior servants had gone to fetch the tools for brewing tea, her expression changed imperceptibly.

She recalled that the novel had mentioned how Chu Lian had shown off her sencha-brewing skills to this group of ladies on the day of her visit to her maiden home.

Before she could think of a game plan, Madam Rong happily spoke up. "Sixth Sister, we've long heard of how Sixth Sister is the best at brewing sencha in our house. I wonder if we could have the honour of tasting it today?"

Chu Lian's black eyes darted about. "I can only do my best and hope my dear sisters won't laugh at my poor skills then."

There was nothing to gain for the unmarried ladies if they competed with Chu Lian; this was a small group consisting of family members, and Chu Lian had already married out of the house.(1) Thus, the ladies were smart enough to give Chu Lian some respect, at least for now. Other than the unhappy Fifth Miss, Miss Su, everyone took turns asking about Chu Lians life in the Jingan Estate one after the other.

However, Xiyan showed a little worry on her face as she served her mistress from behind. Sixth Miss had said that she didn't like to drink sencha anymore. She wondered if it would affect her brewing skills today.

Chu Lian kept calm and maintained a gentle, charming expression on her face, without any trace of anxiety. Upon seeing this, Xiyan slowly calmed down as well, thinking that Sixth Miss was likely confident in her skills.

Somewhere further away, without Chu Lians knowledge, there was a slightly feminine-looking young man looking at her voraciously.

Madam Rongs senior servant worked fast; within a few minutes, she had already retrieved the set of tools required for brewing, and she placed them one by one on the stone table.

The small pot used to boil water was right next to Fifth Miss, so Madam Rong asked Miss Su to pass the small copper pot to Chu Lian.

Fifth Miss had already been looking for a chance to make trouble for Chu Lian. When Chu Lian reached out to receive the pot, Fifth Miss let go of the pot without waiting for her to hold it properly. Normally, Chu Lian would have been able to catch it safely. However, she had just been trying to think of a way to avoid showing off her sencha brewing skills, so she went with the flow and pretended not to catch it. The hot surface of the pot brushed across the back of Chu Lians hand, leaving behind a small patch of red.

She cried out in shock and held onto her hand. The copper pot landed on the floor with a loud clang, and the hot water splashed everywhere, causing the gentle ladies to shout.

In a short moment, the pavilion was in chaos.

Fifth Miss had also seen what had happened. Although she was happy inside because she had caused trouble for Chu Lian, she was also a little afraid that she had gotten herself into trouble too, due to Chu Lians injury. She bit her lip, admonishing herself for being too rash.

Xiyan suffered a huge shock and quickly pulled Chu Lian's hand over, pushing up the long sleeves. Upon seeing the red burn, about as large as a peach blossom, on the fair back of her Third Young Madam's hand, Xiyan's eyes reddened as well in sympathy. "Third Young Madam, does it hurt? Please let this servant put some medicine on it quickly!"

Although she had used the long sleeves to block the pot, the small burn was still quite serious. However, she could bear with the pain. Chu Lian took her hand back and smiled at Xiyan, using her eyes to reassure her maidservant.

On the other hand, it was Madam Rong who thought that Miss Su had acted out of line when she saw Chu Lian's burn. She glared at Miss Su and pulled Chu Lian's hand over. "Luckily it's not too serious. Hurry back to your courtyard here and apply some medicine. This place isn't too far from your Anxiang Court."