Chapter 21 - Agatha's Cursed Necklace

Several days later Marilyn and Keera's paladin guide sneaks away from the convoy towards Grimston's keep. Marilyn has ensured that the road ahead of them is clear of any dangers on a long stretch of road. The falcon meets the tiger almost at the keep.

'What took you so long?!' The tiger exclaimed.

'I had to make sure the road is safe. We have to hurry. There are signs of another snowstorm coming and I don't want my father to find out I am not scouting the road.' At this moment the tiger crosses the portcullis bridge of the keep.

'His office is this way,' the falcon says as they enter the keep through a closed door. Moving through it like ghosts.

There is no sign of Grimston as they pass doorway after doorway on their way to Grimston's office. Marilyn checks into the office. Still no sign of him. They search the desk but finds nothing.

Keera opens a drawer and on top of all the documents in the top drawer, Marilyn gasps when she recognizes Sabrina's handwriting. She reads it.

Dear Grimston

I have come to the solid conclusion that our king is on the verge of starting a war between two kingdoms if he does not do something about the situation.

I feel that it is my duty to inform you that I can no longer stand idly by and watch as his knight commander undermines his authority by hiding Lady Marilyn in the castle under the disguise of a soldier.

He has persuaded the king to add her in the protection detail of the prince. I feel this could endanger my beloved prince.

I hope you will take action about this situation. I also feel that it would be dangerous to reveal my identity at this point and I hope that you sincerely understand my position at this point.

Yours truly

'How did Sabrina find out?! She is using the information to get me either arrested or forced into this stupid deal! I can't believe her audacity!' Voices outside the door make the two paladin guides panic.

The falcon guide dives out of the window and the tiger slips into an adjacent room. Marilyn hears the door open and close, from where her guide is sitting just outside the window and out of sight.

"Aranorn, the king, and his entire convoy are welcome to stay under my roof. Why would he endanger all of you by heading straight to the castle or does this have something to do with the fact that Marilyn is traveling with you?" Grimston asks.

Marilyn hears a wolf snarl. 'Grrr, I do not care how you found out Grimston but Marilyn is under strict orders from the king. He is very aware of her situation and so is the queen. As your knight commander, you need to keep your distance from Marilyn while in her disguise until we can find out who is threatening the crown. To answer your question. The king is in no mood to answer your questions about Marilyn. Her mission is classified.' Marilyn steals a glimpse through the window and sees her father's paladin wolf standing alone in front of Grimston's desk.

"You should be concerned about how I found out. I need to deliver this letter to the king. This girl talks obsessively about the prince. This is a dangerous woman that is a threat to the crown. He needs to know about this threat," Grimston says.

'Your message through Lord Reynold reached the king loud and clear. From what you are telling me I take it that Reynold also knows about Marilyn's whereabouts. Then I hope you will have sense enough to keep Reynold from taking drastic action that he may come to regret. This situation has to be dealt with patiently and with discretion,' Aranorn replies.

"Why do you keep protecting her, Aranorn. You know this is recipe for disaster. You can always have an heir with another wo..." Grimston is cut off by Aranorn.