Chapter 19 - News of Tragedy

Marilyn had a permanent pink blush across her cheeks for the rest of the day. She felt ashamed and didn't know how to approach her father.

Aranorn somehow knew that Marilyn did not feel herself after Arwin so blatantly kissed her. He is the one that approaches her regardless because he knows he has to reassure her that she doesn't have to be ashamed. He finds her just outside the firelight of the camp.

"Sameth, come take a walk with me." She reluctantly walks with her father. The silence seems to stretch forever with only the sound of their boots in the snow and the fast-approaching night that slowly made the country darker with each footstep "Marilyn, how are you feeling?"

"Confused, ashamed and scared. I don't know how to deal with this father. This isn't something I expected. He places me in a difficult position and I don't know how to put into words what he is making me feel."

"Then don't. I just want to be here for you. I know this is not going to be easy, but I want to be there for you no matter what happens."

"Thank you father, it means a lot."

"So how does it feel to be in love?"

"How?"

"My wolf has very sharp ears."

"Every time you do this, it reminds me of how inexperienced I am as a paladin. I still have so much to learn." They stop on a hill with a single tree. The Milkyway of stars shimmers brightly overhead and the full moon gently illuminates the landscape in a soft silver gleam, making the snow look eerily blue-grey and silhouetting the sparsely scattered trees as far as the eye could see around them.

"Experience isn't something you learn overnight. I want to know how you are feeling my little falcon. I need to know how I can best support you, but I can only do that if I know where this is going with the prince."

Marilyn sighs. Aranorn overheard their conversation at the river and he is right. "Different in a good way. I like being in love but I am still afraid of where it is going. Arwin seems very serious about his confession."

"First name basis?"

"He insisted."

"Then he is far more serious than I thought. He has gone out a few times with other girls and in his youth and inexperience he also confessed his love, but it never worked out. The girl fell in love with another. It has been six since then. You are the first person he insists to call him by his name and not his title. You don't have to be ashamed of your feelings towards him, your at an age when it is bound to happen. As much as you don't like to hear this, but you are not a rock. You are a human being and more important, you are my daughter. Come and give your father a hug." She did. "My darling girl no matter what happens, know that I will always love you. We have to get back to camp. All of the soldiers are on high alert, because of the full moon." Her father says as he pulls her hand gently to follow him back.

"You think there might be a werewolf in the area?" she asks him concerned.

"A whole pack of them. My paladin guide smelled them when we headed to the King's Council. The wizards are putting up the same barrier we used in the mountain pass. Ashton finds that the barrier is far more effective than a magic shield."

They return to camp and Marilyn retires to her tent after dinner. Arwin follows her to her tent and insists on a good night's kiss. A thorough and passionate kiss left her breathless.

"I don't want you sleeping in that flimsy tent."

"You weren't complaining when you thought I was a boy. So what changed?"