"So, you are the ones that stole them from me. I figured so. I will be honest, I did not think that this group was going to be able to bring me to this. You are just university kids, but you've definitely proven harder to defeat than I had thought. Given the pressures you raised, I suspected someone more involved in politics than this ragamuffin lot."

"It's not hard to put pressure on you when you do not hold any moral advantage."

"I don't care about a moral advantage. And don't you start lecturing me. I only want to maintain control over my own businesses. If I can solve things tonight, I might yet be able to consolidate my power and increase my influence in the area. Your little antics have caused me enough grief, but nothing permanent, as long as I end it. Besides, you don't know what is best in this situation. Environment over jobs. Jobs vs the environment. This takes strength, and I'm the one who can do it. I can maximise the profit on flailing products without compromising their quality. What do you know about dealing with employees, unions and regulatory bodies? In this community, my business is responsible for thousands of jobs. And not just jobs in my plant. But the tranport companies that haul product and materials, the teachers who teach the kids of my employees, the staff in the stores in the malls and shops. Without me, they would have no job. And you would ruin it. In reality, I am always the good guy. The enemy are those who want to take me down for political, ethical, environmental or cultural reasons."

Ian felt the conversation getting desperate. While his dislike for the man was growing rapidly, he knew he needed to get in there to prevent it from spinning out of control. "Actually, we don't care about your battles or your business. In fact, we hope it flourishes. All we want is to be left alone. We leave you alone, and you leave us alone."

He held his breath after the last sentence. He willed that it sink into Gillies' brain. The easy way out is to pay us off and we leave him alone. Hoping to give the conversation a little push in his direction, Ian continued, "We are not in any way, shape or form interested in your corporation. Or your role in trying to take down Danny Corcoran."

Gillies let out a primordial roar.

"Is that your business? Are you doing this for Corcoran? He's been a political problem and a business roadblock for a long time. He needed to be removed. He had no understanding of what I was doing, but was purely using his celebrity and made up environmental catastrophes to sell his brand and give him power. Of course I wanted Corcoran taken down. That was why I allowed information to be fed to you so that you'd do it."

This shocked Ian. He glanced around at the others and noticed that they were equally surprised at the outburst and the confession. Ian closed his eyes for a second and gave a quick prayer to the Hindu god Ganesh hoping that Dave had his camera on.

If Dave had it recorded, then they could shut Gillies down forever. But, until they got back to the car, there was no way they could know if Dave got it.

"We are willing to remain silent on everything if you promise to leave us alone." Ian tried one more time to try to get Gillies to reason.

Gillies laughed a sneering laugh. "No, I don't think you can stay silent."

"Then we are at a détente. We will take the lead. We won't compromise you, but the second you try to enact some revenge on us, we go full confessional." Ian looked at the shadowy figure in the night. He could not tell whether his words were making an impact. After a fifteen second pause, he continued "Our negotiations have broken down. We will be leaving."

Gillies yelled, "You will not be leaving here," and moved quickly to the car.

Ian then heard Dave off to his right holler at him "Ian, he's got a gun!"