The seven of them arriveed up at Prairie Crocus State Park. Ian climbed out allowing Dave to sneak out of the back seat. While no one seemed hostile to Dave, no one even commented to him to wish him luck or anything. Ian was mildly offended at the perceived lack of respect given to his friend. He did, however, understand their reticence towards fully accepting him. He was, after all, a newcomer to the situation. And Ian could not let little things bother him.

Lauren was taking charge of the group. They had received little direction on what to do in the park. They were to meet at a specific landmark near the Devil's Dustbowl and Lauren was the most familiar with the way there. The sun had set about 15 minutes earlier, so the sky was darkening quite quickly. Moonrise was to take place in the middle of the night, so until then it would only be the light of the stars guiding them. The six of them started walking in a loose group towards the east. Ian turned his head a couple of times to see if he could see Dave following, but he saw nothing. He knew Dave was less than a football field away from them at that time, but knew that he'd not be visible in this darkness.

About ten minutes into the walk it was very dark. They came to a relatively flat spot. Ian was quite sure they were approaching the designated area for the meeting. There was something, a sense, a vibration, something that told him that they had arrived. The little meadow was calm at night, with only the sounds of insects heard. He knew that during the day, the area would be lush and active, and probably a beautiful spot to picnic. Maybe, just maybe, he'd bring Kate here.

A flicker of light in the short distance ahead of them brought Ian's flash fantasy about Kate to an abrupt end. It looked like someone had lit a cigarette. As the six of them looked at what caused the light, they could just barely make out the outline of a car, parked here in the meadow. Stephen Gillies' voice called from somewhere behind the car.

"I see you came. I was wondering if you would."

No one responded.

"Cat got your tongue? You are usually full of words when stopping me in the street or setting out to embarrass me online."

"We stopped that. You did not suffer." Lauren's voice was shaking. She seemed to be right on the edge. Ian knew she would not last. In his years of taking on stressful bets, he knew which people could bet and which ones could not. Lauren, for all her inner strength, could not be a stressful better.

"That's an outright lie!" bellowed Gillies, startling the six of them. "I've been removed as CEO from my own company, relegated to figurehead, and denied the ability to exercise any control over the operations of my businesses. I've suffered."

Ian jumped in to prevent Lauren from breaking. "Sir, we did not mean that. We too have suffered. We have ceased our campaign to harm you. We just ask that you cease your campaign to end us."

There was no immediate response from Gillies, which Ian hoped was a sign that he was taking the offer under consideration. During the silence Ian took a couple of paces further forward. He wanted to see Gillies to ensure that he was truly alone.

Finally, there was just enough light and the distance was short enough to pick him out and see that he was there, and alone. The only thing that was suspicious was that there was a large satchel sitting on the hood of his car. Did this hold the bribe money?

"That is far enough. You are Ian. I don't want you to come any closer." With that Stephen Gillies moved to the hood of the car.

Ian decided to try to take the initiative. "We know about your role in the break in at the bank. And the documents you stole from Danny Corcoran. Those were stolen back from you. Then you spent your time manipulating us."