Daniel had something to hide, and they now had the secret. He wanted to run for office. He was running scared. That would be their key to gaining the upper hand.

Then Lauren brought up the bank heist. "OK, Mr. Corcoran. Why go through the incredible expense and risk to have us break into a bank, twice?"

"Please, call me Danny." An odd way for an adversarial conversation to begin. "Inside that leather pouch you guys got for me were some very valuable personal papers. Monetarily, they are worth next to nothing. But for my personal purposes, which are not illegal, by the way, and for some sentimental reasons, they are invaluable."

This was dynamite. They just got the Benefactor admitting on the microphone that he conspired with them to hold up the bank. At least, if they go down, he's going too. It's a partial victory, with more certainly to follow.

"You did me a great service, and I kept my part of the bargain. Then Lauren's podcast was heard by someone in my office. Although you did not directly name me, I knew what was going on. What do you want? Why are you threatening to compromise my integrity? I thought we had a deal."

Ian spoke up for the first time. "Danny, we did have a deal. But you broke that deal when you had one of our team arrested on trumped up charges. Now, we can't trust you will leave us alone."

There was a flash of concern in Corcoran's eyes. He took a breath and looked like he was about to say something, then thought about it and paused. Finally, he spoke. "I severed all contact after that last phone call at the Midcontinental Hotel. If one of your friends was arrested, it was not by my direction. I had already gotten everything I needed, and had cut all my ties, or so I had thought. I can only think that the two cops I was using have gone rogue or..." He paused, and looked around him.

Lauren picked up on the pause. "Or? Danny?"

"Uh, nothing. Just let me finish by saying that I did not direct that arrest. I know those cops are dirty and are probably working for several bosses. That was never my intent. That's all I will say." Corcoran turned around, seemingly scanning the area.

Ian looked at Bill and Lauren. They both had the same look that Ian felt. They believed him. This was a wealthy man that wanted papers. All told, he probably spent around $100 000 on the effort to get papers that had been stolen from him. And he got them. Now, Ian did a quick Ockham's Razor. Option 1, their gut feeling is correct with Corcoran telling the truth and Smooshface and the Bulldog gone rogue, or Option 2, this is an elaborate long con. Option 2 offers no end, but a lot of risk. Simplest explanation is Option 1.

"OK, Danny," Ian broke the silence. "I believe you. We will check out a few things, take down the blog and end the podcast if we find that what you are saying is true. But, we need to know that you have been honest with us."

"I've been honest today. As the Benefactor, I kept a few things hidden, but that was to get you to do what I needed. Right now, I don't want anything more to do with you or this situation."

Ian felt the same way. He wanted to end the conversation, get the group back together and talk about how they would ensure that Collins and Dumont would leave them alone.

Then Corcoran hit them with a curveball. "Are you guys going to leave Erika alone?"

This stopped them. They had not expected anything about Erika. Bill had brought up that morning in the Diner that an Erika Wilson owned the phone that had called the hotel room, but Ian had brushed that one off. Now, the Benefactor was asking about an Erika. Ian turned to Bill and Bill was looking right at him with an amazed look in his eyes.

Lauren was not about to let that one go. "Who is Erika?"

Corcoran, looking less imposing as a person than his reputation as The Benefactor made Ian feel, seemed uncomfortable with his hushed speech and quick darting glances all around. This made Ian want the conversation to end quickly, but he felt that this information could not be skipped.