Chapter Thirteen

"Why did you marry him?"

I looked at Adam while picking up the bottle of antiseptic cream that was resting by my foot, my fingers tightening on the wipe in my other hand.

"I love him."

"I get that, but why? He's a total asshole."

"He's not always like that."

"Really? Because he's rarely around so how would you know?"

He winces as I roughly dab the wipe to his neck, my mouth set in a tight line as I wiped away any dirt from the scratches.

"Don't question me, Adam, I love Vincent."

"You could do better."

"Better how? You?"

"Yes."

We stared at each other, a silence passing between us before I shook my head and looked away.

"That's just your-"

"If you mention anything about fledglings and their habits then I'm leaving."

"It's just how it is."

"I am more than just a fledgling, I have actual emotions, you know, we don't just run on vampire twisted bullshit like you seem to think we do."

"I know, Adam!" I looked at him sternly, the intensity almost hurting my eyes as my entire being tensed up. "I know."

I continued to work in silence so that I could concentrate, Adam simply sat there and watched me with an expression that was a peculiar mix between wanting to be angry and resigning of our short spat.

He let me patch up his scratches and cover them without a further fuss, the conversation long dead but not forgotten.

Sitting back, I checked the patching from a distance to make sure that it all looked securely in place before gathering the discarded packaging and bottles I had used to either throw or put away once again.

Truthfully, they were used to rarely that I was surprised that they hadn't expired.

I'd barely stepped away when Adam grabbed my wrist and stood up, his frame looming over me would have been intimidating if not for the gentle look in his eyes.

The man may have had a stoic face, but his eyes spoke emotions his expressions otherwise never conveyed.

I looked up at him questioningly.

He stared back down at me.

Then leaned in and pressed his lips to my own.

His kiss was needy and asking, possessive and wanting all in one display of affection.

Adam's large hands came up to cup my jaw as he pressed harder into the kiss and I found myself unable to deny him what he wanted, so I returned the sentiment.

Almost hesitantly, his hands moved from my face and down to rest on my hips so that he could pull me closer.

Time lingers until he pulls away, looking down at me while licking his bottom lip.

"I'm sorry," he said softly, in that horribly tantalizing husky voice of his.

"No, don't be, it's my fault."

"No, it's not," he shook his head, his eyes flickering towards the bedroom, "it's his."

"Adam, please don't start again."

"I'm not starting anything, but you need to see how he truly is," he brushed a piece of my hair out of my eyes and gave me the faintest of smiles.

A smile that made my non-running blood go cold.

"I'll sort everything out, don't worry."