Chapter 22

There were a few bangs here and there, a small yelp, and then I heard a very muted "Coming" from behind the door. My body began to shake with nervous anticipation at seeing her. What if it wasn't Mariel? What if she didn't want to talk to me? My thoughts were all washed away when the door suddenly began to creek open. In front of me stood a girl with a small frame, a couple inches taller than me with dirty blonde hair and honey colored eyes. A light coat of freckles spotted her face and her smile dazzled with pure kindness. She was beautiful. She has high cheekbones and a skinny nose, and rosy cheeks.  

"Hey honey, what ya need?" My eyes widened and my mouth fell open. The words came out of my mind, but for some reason they wouldn't come out of my lips. "Sweetie, are you okay? Do you need help?" My hands came together in front me as I picked at the front of my shirt. I looked down and felt warm breath hitting my lips as I exhaled. Looking back up at the woman in front of me I spoke. 

"Mariel". It wasn't a question. It was a statement. I was not one hundred percent sure she was who I was looking for, but if she was, she would know I was serious. Her eyes turned a dark shade of brown and her face paled, making her freckles more obvious. She took a step back and I put my foot in the door in case she tried to shut it on me. 

"Who are you?" She asked. 

"Uh, my name is Emily. Emily -" Suddenly the woman was cutting me off. 

"Armanti". Her voice was harsh, cold. She grabbed my wrist and dragged me into the house slamming the door behind us. "Come. Sit". I followed her into the living room. The apartment was gorgeous. Tailored curtains, high end furniture, and artwork on the walls that had to have cost thousands of dollars a piece. "Tea?" Her question came out curtly. I shook my head no. She took a seat in the deep purple velvet chair while I sat on the couch, less than ten feet away from her. She stared at me for eternity it seemed. I stared back, not knowing what to say or do or ask or what to tell her. One thought was on my mind. Was she okay? I mean, she had to be right? The nice house. The clothes... 

Her voice brought me out of my thoughts. "Why are you here?" 

"I-I am sorry Mariel. I- I needed to know what actually happened to you." Her eyes shot daggers at me. 

"And how did you find me, Emily?" 

"Your father". She took a short breath in and moments later tears began sliding her face. "Mariel, are you okay?" 

"Do I look okay to you!" She screamed. "I have been hiding for years Emily. I have missed everything. All because of that, THAT BITCH. She ruined everything, she took everything away from me". 

"Mariel, who?" 

"God, I missed my brothers wedding, I missed my nephews birth, I missed my father growing old. She made me do it Emily. Believe me please!" I stood and rushed to Mariel taking her into a tight hug. I felt tears wetting the front of my shirt as she sobbed into my chest, gripping my back into her fingers. 

"Mariel, I believe you okay. I believe you. Please tell me what happened. Please. I can help you." 

"No you can't! No one can help me!" 

"Mariel, whoever did this to you is going after my son, please I need to know. Ruxin needs to know. We can keep you safe. He can help keep you safe Mariel." She lifted her head and sniffled as she met my gaze. She spoke softly. 

" What is his name?" 

"Alex". 

She smiled fondly. "I'm sorry I was never there Emily. I knew who you were, and...I'm just sorry." We both sat on the couch. I took her hands into my own and held them on my lap, giving her time. " My mother...was a ruthless bitch. She was having an affair with a well known officer in the same city. His name was Mark. My father caught them one night and threatened divorce. She knew if that happened she would never get the money or the house. She grew angry at being caught, and....she used me as her weapon. Being so young and naïve, I thought what she was doing was right. She told me my father hit her and raped her and did so many bad things. She coaxed me by telling me that no one would believe her but they would believe me. I wanted my mother to be happy and safe and I hated my father for the things I thought he had done to her. She told me to tell someone I trusted that, that he raped me. I did so without hesitation because I knew it meant saving her and possibly my brother and I. Ruxin was so angry. He almost killed my father. I had never seen him so cruel to someone. After my mother told me that Ruxin would ruin the plan, so we left and the officer she was with helped her fake my death." 

I nodded my head and looked down at our hands taking a deep breath. "Emily I didn't know what I was doing was wrong. I didn't mean to hurt anyone. I'm so sorry." 

"Mariel, it wasn't your fault. I'm sorry you had to go through all that. You need to come back with me to Italy and let Ruxin see you." 

"I can't! Not after what I did. He will hate me!"

"Mariel, no he won't" 

"You should go Mariel". We both jumped out of our skin at the voice behind us. A tall, built man with a  scruffy beard and a man bun stood behind the couch. "I will go with you. But it needs to be done. You need to fix things. I will be by your side every step of the way. I'm sure Emily here will to". I looked at the man behind me with confusion and then I looked right at Mariel. 

"I will Mariel. I will always be on your side." Mariel looked at me with sorrowed eyes, her face turning red. 

"Well I guess we will all be going to Italy then".