darrel curtis ➼ catching up

Request: I ran into darry at the DX when he was dropping of Sodapops lunch he forgot and he and I catch up since we haven't seen each other since high school and he ask me out to dinner and after awhile we get together

Name: Kelssi

Warning(s): Swearing

Word Count: 1.4K

4K

     Sweat trickled down the sides of my face, and my breathing was heavy as I sprinted toward the touchdown area. Steve was right at my tail, acting crazy as usual. I was so focused on reaching the touchdown that I didn't even realize my shoelaces were untied. It wasn't until I was a few steps away from the touchdown when I stumbled over my own shoelace. I lost control of the ball and it went flying in the air, soon to be caught in the hands of my other friend, Sodapop Curtis.

     I rolled a couple of times in the wet grass before I stopped. I decided to remain laying down on the grass and stared at the clear blue sky. I was no doubt covered in grass from head to toe. The two figures of my friends soon hovered over me. Sodapop had a smug look on his face. I rolled my eyes. Instead of laughing in my face, they both put down a hand. I grabbed them both and they both lifted me up to my feet.

"Damn,  that was quite the trip Kelssi," sodapop said, brushing off the grass on my shoulders. "I know that I should be laughing, but are you alright?"

"I've been through worse," I responded with a nonchalant shrug. "that was fun though. Are we going to play more?"

Steve groaned. "Can we at least get a soda before we play another round? I'm dyin' of thirst over here!"

     Steve was always the complainer of the group. Sodapop went with Steve's request and told us that we could pop one open at his work place, the DX gas station. We all headed to Sodapop's truck and we were off. I always forgot that Sodapop was the brother of one of my past love interests, Darrel Curtis. Darry was what everybody would call him though. Long ago, we went to school with each other, and if it wasn't for that one day at lunch, we wouldn't have met each other and further along the way, fall in love.

     Cliques were pressured harshly in high school though and Darry definitely wasn't in my group. Darry loved every part of me, it was just the group he hung out with didn't accept it. They didn't enjoy my loving for books or drawing. Although I enjoyed playing sports and getting dirty too, they didn't care. All they knew was that I liked reading and drawing, and automatically they labeled me as a nerd. Darry tried to make it work though, which was what I loved about him so much. Even though everyone was telling him to not get involved with me, he went against them.

     It has been quite the time ever since I talked or even seen Darry. Years passed and my car broke down right in front of the DX gas station, which was how I met Sodapop. We became super close, but just a few days ago I was told he was Darry's younger brother. It was weird because when I heard Darry's name, multiple memories came flooding through my mind. It wasn't long until I realized how much I missed him. I still wasn't able to see Darry yet, but hopefully someday I was able to see him again. I just hoped it wouldn't be awkward seeing him again.