Chapter 6

Having Nani back in their home wasn't a huge surprise for the Walker boys. Being the sons of a high ranking officer in the Army had it's challenge.So each time Elias left the boys became more and more grown up, and the less they would need their father. Nani became the main parental figure in their lives. David wouldn't agree with that statement, but Logan thought of her as a motherly figure. He had to. She was all he really had left parent wise.
———————————————————————————

Standing in front of the mirror David let out a huff of air. He's been trying to get his neck tie situated for the last twenty minutes. This tie has been redone over thirty times it seemed like, and each attempt was worse then the last. He didn't even want to go to this stupid party anyways. What's the point? Not like this side of the family actually wants to see him or his brother. It's been like this since their Mom died a few years ago. The Watson side of the family made it very clear that Elias was not welcomed at anything from Mary's side of the family. But David and Logan were. So the only plus side of this party would be that David didn't have to see Elias.
After giving up on his tie David went to see how Logan was doing.

"Hey dude you almost ready?" David asked while popping his head into the bathroom.

Inside the bathroom was both Logan and Nani. The youngest Walker was patiently standing in front of the sink while his caretaker finished applying the last little bit of gel to his hair. Once complete with the look, Logan jumped to face his brother with the biggest smile on his face.

"Look Hesh! My hair is finally long enough to be spiked again!"

"Hey look at that! Are you sure we're going to Grandma and Grandpa Watson's house? Or to drop you off at the zoo? Because to me you look like you'd be able to fit right in with the porcupines."

"No you idiot. I actually like my hair this way. At least I don't look like I've been run over by a bus."

As the two bickered Nani checked the house phone for any missed messages. She didn't want to clue the boys in, but she was hopeful that Elias would have called. As usual there are no messages. Since the last time he was called for active duty there has been no communication. A few months ago that would have hurt the boys, but now it's just one more thing they don't have to worry about. It hurts Nani to see David push his negative attitude about Elias onto Logan. At ten years old Logan shouldn't resent his dad as much as he does. They don't know it yet, but having a dad like Elias was preparing them for the future.

———————————————————————————

"Are we there yetttt?"
"No. We're about fifteen minutes away."
A few minutes go by...
"What about now."
"No Logan were still a bit of ways away."

An additional ten minutes go by.

"How about now? We have to be close by now?!"

"Yes Logan we are closer. We just have five more minutes left of the ride."

This was the conversation that went on for ninety percent of the ride. Logan asking how mind longer, and Nani responding back each time with a different answer. Needless to say Logan was eager to get to this party and see his Grandparents. Seething them meant food and a chance to play with kids his age.

The excitement grew to unbearable levels as the gates that grossed the driveway opened up. Every time they visited this side of the family Logan wanted to move here more and more. Who wouldn't want to live here?! The house was huge! More room then someone can count! And all this space to play games!

Walking inside meant that Logan was finally getting to let off some pent up energy. Standing there in the foyer was one of his cousins, his name as Ryan. Having a cousin the same age made family parties a lot more fun. The two boy locked eyes and exchanged excited waves. Just as the fun was going to begin Logan was interrupted.