chapter five: wear protection

jane woke up, feeling uncomfortably hot and wiping the drool off the corner of her mouth. she cuddled deeper into the soft mound of warmth before hearing a sharp intake of breath.

her blurry vision focused and she realized she was snuggled into starlings chest, no longer in the upright sitting position they once were in.

"star?" she heard her croaky voice and cringed, clearing her throat.

"hey jane." starling mumbled, her hand still rubbing janes back softly. jane hummed and buried her face deep within starlings neck.

she's never felt this comfortable snuggling mike before. mike was all awkward, with lanky arms and bones sticking out everywhere that jabbed el constantly. not to mention feeling awkward once she felt a little something in mike's sweat pants.

a little something.

"you comfy?" starling asked softly. she wasn't known for being this soft, but she couldn't help it with the pretty girl she was so fond of.

starling only heard a prolonged mmhmm, which caused her to giggle. she sighed happily before running her fingers through janes short hair. she loved her hair, it looked so effortlessly beautiful on jane.

suddenly jane shot up, her eyes widened. she looked out the window to see the dark night sky.

"i was supposed to before dark, how long as it been?" jane panicked, shooting her head towards starling and not noticing that she was straddling her hips.

starlings cheeks were painted a deep red, "l-like.. an hour."

jane smacked her forehead before jumping off the bed and running down the stairs.

"wait, i'll give you a ride!" starling called out before pulling her socks on and hopping down the stairs at the same time.

"please?"

"of course j. let me get the keys." starling disappeared into the kitchen before coming back with her dad's old chevy truck keys.

once both of the girls shoes were on, they hurried out to the front and climbed inside the truck.

the truck had no console, so it was a long seat extended across the car.

"you drive?" jane asked, staring at the middle seat where the console was supposed to be. she's never been in a car like this before.

"uhm.. yes." starling hesitated. technically, she knew how to drive but she just hasn't gotten her license yet.

she was supposed to inherit this truck once she got her license. jane fiddled with the radio before smiling when starlings billy joel cassette played.

"come on virgina, don't let me wait.." starling softly mumbled the lyrics, "wait.. i don't even know where i'm going."

jane realized she never gave her the directions and chuckled. she shuffled closer to starling as she led her to the cabin. it was a comfortable and calming drive, the beam of the truck giving light to whatever was in front of them. jane watched all the trees fly past them, seemingly lost in thought.

starling looked over to see jane staring out the window.

"are you okay?" starling asked, taking one of her hands off the wheel to grab janes.

"i'm perfect." jane turned her head to smile at starling, starlings eyes shimmering.

"you sure are." starling whispered, turning back to the road in front of them.

jane smiled happily, having heard the girl, and snuggled into her arm.

---

starling walked through the doors of scoops ahoy, a pep in her step. robin shuffled on down behind her. she was aware of her sisters good mood, especially since starling barged into her room and told her everything about her and jane.