Part Eight

Placing the cloth on his workbench, Harrison Hurried to the small desk he kept in the laboratory and scrawled a quick message for Jacob.

Jacob,
I have created the material, and it is successful in protecting someone from a crossbow bolt.
Harrison

Once he folded the note, Harrison sealed it and summoned one of his father's attendants. While he waited, Harrison returned to his workbench and studied the treated cloth. Using his knife, Harrison managed to slice it in half. He shook his head and stabbed at one of the sections, and it became harder than steel. When he placed the tip of the blade on the fabric, he heard someone coughing behind him. Harrison put the knife down and turned to find Gabriel.

"Don't you sleep, Gabriel?" The young lordling inquired, walking over to his desk to claim his note.

"I do, sire," Gabriel replied, inclining his head.

Pointing at the steward, Harrison stammered, "The... Then why are you here rather than sleeping?"

"The house has come to know you, sire," Gabriel mused before pausing to consider his next words. "Well, sire, they know that when you call for them, you typically desire to speak with me. As a result, they try to wake me up whenever possible."

Harrison tapped his temple with his palm, mumbling, "That makes sense."

"What can I do for you, Master Harrison?"

The lordling shoved the sealed missive into Gabriel's hands, "I need you to deliver this to the king immediately."

"You want this delivered to the king, at this hour?" Gabriel asked, slipping the note into the pocket of his waistcoat.

"Yes," Harrison replied, walking back to his experiment.

"Very well my lord," Gabriel said, leaving Harrison to his studies.

Returning his attention back to the material, Harrison continued experimenting with the cloth to discover all its secrets. Hours later, when he finally placed the dagger back down on his workbench, Harrison identified all the limitations of the treated material. Any edge could still pierce or slice the fabric if used with the proper force. Harrison slapped his thighs and turned to summon another attendant to bring food, but he found the King's messenger waiting in silence.

"How long have you been waiting there?"

"Long enough, Harrison," the messenger said stoically.

Harrison rubbed at his tired eyes while he informed the man, "You could have left any message with my steward. He's very good at bringing things like that to my attention."

"I don't have a message for you," the man replied.

"Then, why are you here?" Harrison asked as he plucked one of the largest of the treated scraps from the table.

"I'm to escort you to the king's villa," the messenger answered before turning to leave. "Follow me."

"I don't have a horse ready to leave," Harrison responded as he grabbed the man's arm. "It will take some time for one of the stable boys to ready my mount."

"Nonsense, I came with a second horse," the messenger countered over his shoulder. "Now we've already lingered here for too long."

With a groan, Harrison followed the messenger to the stables finding two strange horses saddled and ready to depart. Without a word, Jacob's messenger climbed up on his mount and started his trek back to the King's villa. After a moment the messenger stopped and turned to frown at the still unmounted Harrison, "The king wants you at his villa immediately."