Chapter 52: Caith - Demotion

Start from the beginning

“Walter-,” Caith did not want Walter to proceed down this path.

“Let me finish, sir. I found out a lot about elf-politics. They see me as a half-elf. They despise me for that. They can sense that I am not fully human. I never noticed that I was different from other humans, until my second day in the order. You knew from the first time you saw me, that I was different. You have not aged a day since that day. I put everything together a year after that day. The resemblance is in our eyes.”

“Walter -,” Caith started. He wanted to say something to the boy that stood in front of him, but what could he say? Caith could just imagine the pain this boy had been through while growing up.

“I accept this task.”

“I am sorry. I know I have caused you a lot of pain,” was the only words Caith could think of.

“Your absence caused me pain.” His hands unfolded from the chair he was still clutching, causing colour to flood back into his knuckles.

“I am sorry, Walter.”

Walter dismissed his words with the simple flick of his wrist. “I do not blame you at all. When do I leave with Queen Claira?”

“Now. I will take you to her room. I already discussed everything with her. Then we will go to your farm.”

“But you have to be back by tomorrow morning?”

“Always trust the water. Take my hand.”

Walter's hand hovered in the air, afraid of comitting.

“Trust the water. Trust me,” Caith urged.

Walter took Caith’s hand. The moment they touched, Caith started to travel by water. The trip was very short. A moment later they appeared in queen Claira’s room. She was dressed plainly.

“Queen Claira,” Caith greeted her first.

“Lord Caith, I am only Claira now.”

“This is Sir Walter. He will take care of you from now-on.”

“Thank you, Walter. I owe you my life.”

“It is a pleasure, Queen Claira.” Walter blushed endearingly.

“Lady Claira, please take my hand. We will arrive at your new home soon.” He smiled inwardly at Walter blushing. Claira was beautiful, and had an amiable personality. In short, she was femininity embodied. Caith predicted that it wouldn't be long until Walter was head-over-heels devoted to her.

Claira took Caith’s hand. Walter also took his hand without hesitation or doubt this time.

They arrived at Clearview-Riversmeet after a few seconds. Caith had a rough idea of where Walter’s farm should be.

“Walter, is this the place?”

“Yes, sir. My sister and her husband live some metres to the south.”

“We need a witness for your marriage. Walter, can you please get your sister?”

“Yes, sir,” Walter replied, drawing his cloak up against the chill.

“Claira, I am really sorry about the loss of your husband, and more so of your innocent daughters. I am really sorry that your whole life has been thrown upside down. I know Walter will make you happy. He will take good care of you. He will be an excellent father and husband. I trust him completely.”

Caith saw the burden of loss weighing on her shoulders. In the span of a few days she has lost everything. Her husband, her children, her crown, yet she stood tall and proud, a queen ready to brave the unknown for the last thing she had left: her unborn child.