Chapter 52: Caith - Demotion

Start from the beginning

Walter's eyes widened. “Me? Why me? Ten years ago, you told me that I would find a friend in him. He has not treated me like a friend. I do not hate him because of that. He is the prince of the elves. They all competed for his favour. I never stood a chance.”

“He knows that you are trustworthy. You are his friend, even though he does not show it. Friendships between humans and elves are very rare. And you have to remember that elf-politics are too complicated to understand,” Caith explained slowly. It took him many years to understand them. There was no way the boy would be able to grasp their intricacy in a decade.

“I have noticed that.” He gave a short, clear laugh.

Caith was glad to see that the boy had retained his sense of humour over the past decade.

“Eoghan will choose you. You have deserved it, Walter.”

“Thank you, sir. But?”

That caused Caith to smile. “I have a task for you, though. You are free to choose whether or not you will accept.”

“What task can be performed from now until tomorrow morning?”

“Listen to everything that I have to say; then you can ask questions.” Caith knew that Walter would be faced with a difficult choice. He didn't want to put this burden on Walter's shoulders, but in the end, Caith needed one he could trust.

“Yes, sir.”

“If you accept Eoghan’s offer, you will not be able to see your sister again. You have only seen her once this past decade, with my special leave. I know you are very fond of her. She is your twin. You have shared the womb. That is a bond that cannot be broken. She is the rest of you. You are not complete without her. My twin is my darkness and my light - the one who puts everything I am into perspective.”

“Sir?” Walter was confused.

“I need someone that I completely trust to take queen Claira away from Raven’s Peak. Her life is in danger.”

“Oh.”

“Walter, I can only trust you. She is expecting a child.”

The boy's face was all incredulity. “A child? King Friduric’s heir?”

“Yes, Ardam's rightful heir.”

“So, if I were to accept this task, it would not be possible for me to return?”

“Yes.”

“But I could go back to my sister?”

“Yes. There is one more thing. The child should have a father, in order to avoid suspicions.”

“You are suggesting that I marry the queen.”

“That is the only solution. Walter, I can trust only you with this. Claira cannot go to the elves. It would be dangerous to hand them anything that can give them a hold on human history and power. Their future queen is as ruthless as she is cunning. I will take Claira to safety myself, if you should decline the offer.”

“You cannot go, sir. You are needed here. The war is coming to a climax, and you need to be here when it breaks.”

“You are free to choose.”

“I know. I respect you for giving me that freedom. I lied to you, years ago, at my interview. I did not tell you everything that my mother told me. She told me that I would find my father in the Second Order. I always thought that he was in the order. I always thought I would know him when I saw him for the first time. It took me a while to find out what she meant.”