Chapter 6

Under the white veil of a dream I saw Kristina, Chris, Mathilde and for some reason Kathrine, running in front of me, towards a large wooden door with handmade details all over it. Kristina reached the door first, almost tackling it. She opened it quickly and run inside. The others and I followed.

We reached a large rectangular room made entirely out of pure white marble.

An enormous platinum chain in the middle of the room was floating in the air, extending from the exact center of the floor, almost all the way to the ceiling. It was moving gracefully back and forth, curved at the top, as if it was dancing and it had the energy of a protective spell. From the same spot on the floor, eight other metallic chains were lying on the floor, dividing it into sixteen pieces. Looking up, millions of, again, metallic chains were hanging from the ceiling, making it impossible to see.

The image started fading away while an unfamiliar smell was traveling my lungs. I slowly opened my eyes. My vision was blurry; I couldn't recognize anything other than the fact that I was lying prone on a layer of mud and leaves. I stood up with difficulty and rubbed my eyes. I was in a forest. Far away from New York City. A world away to be exact. As that strange old man said, everything was and felt different, in that new realm. Magic was in the air that surrounded me. I felt like I could swim in the aura that I was sensing. It was very clear that I belonged there. That I somehow came from that world. But although I recognize it, I didn't want to see it. I didn't want to see anything else besides my hunger for revenge.

I stood up and shook the dirt off my clothes. Next to me, there was a path with carriage's wheel marks all over it. Since I had no idea where to go, I decided to follow the path until I see something interesting.

Not long after I started walking, I heard a noise that kept getting louder and louder. It sounded like someone or something was running toward me. And I was right. I could now clearly see two knights, riding on coal-black horses, coming fast in my direction. They were wearing shiny, black armors that covered every part of their body. I couldn't know if they were men or women or even humans.

They kept coming closer, at the same fast pace, but I didn't flinch. It wasn't in my character to back off, especially now that I knew how powerful I really was.

The knights abruptly pulled the reins making the horses rear and neigh with anger, smoke coming out of their noses, their eyes blood red. They were two beautiful horses indeed.

A loud slam was heard when the horses stomped the earth with their front legs. The ground beneath me was shaken, but I didn't lose my calm attitude, neither did I when one of the knights spoke.

"We have a trespasser here, don't we?" He said, his voice a low rumble.

"And we know what happens to trespassers." The other one said and laughed a low laugh that sounded more like a growl.

Both of them got off their horses, pulled out their swords, and started to swagger toward me. But again I didn't flinch.

With ample confidence, I raised my hand and squeezed it, as I had done in that old man's shop. I wanted to raise both of them to the air and show them who was the boss.

But nothing happened. Neither of them seemed bothered by my magic, but I wasn't backing off. I opened my hands and pictured inside them icy fireballs, but I couldn't do it fast enough. They were too close to me. I looked up to see a shiny, coal-black sword coming in my direction. I tried to act fast but I couldn't do anything. It was over.

Except it wasn't. I looked up again. The sword was hovering above my head. A golden aura was surrounding it. The knights as well.

They were frozen. Or actually no. They weren't frozen, they just couldn't move. I didn't do anything.