Saving Her from expulsion

I carefully observed the way the pair interacted on the way to the plane, also thinking back over the events of the night and what I knew of the crash that had reduced the Dragomir line to just one. I was beginning to suspect a bond had been formed. I knew a bound pair back home in Baia; they were close family friends. And could communicate without even looking at each other, just as these two were. I needed more information, more evidence in the way they interacted.

I was graced with the interaction I needed on the plane and ordered the two separated. I warned my colleague, "don't let them talk to each other. Five minutes together and they'll come up with an escape plan." And if I was right, if they had a bond they'd come up with one while separated. That or Rose would remain resigned. I was shot a haughty look as she stormed off down the aisle. I sat next to my charge at the front of the cabin, her hands gripping a water bottle. I reached down to remove one of my favourite Western novels from my bag.

It was nearing the end of the flight and I felt the need to talk to Rose, so I walked to her place in the back of the cabin and switched with the guardian by her side. All she did was stare out the window, clearly my presence was unwelcome. And that hurt for some unidentifiable reason. Several moments passed in silence as I tried to think of some place to start probing to be revealed with another piece of damning evidence that the two shared a bond. I also just needed to talk to her, though god knows why. I eventually said, "were you really going to attack all of us?" only to get no answer. Yup, I wasn't welcome, but continued pressing her. I also wanted her to know what I thought and felt over her actions, so I told her, "doing that... protecting her like that- it was very brave." It was true, both the disappearing in the first place even though under skilled and ill-equipped then the attacking a skilled guardian were brave acts. Although, I didn't want that to get to her head, "stupid, but still brave. Why did you even try it?" I continued. And as I suspected the answer would be she responded with "because I'm her guardian," while looking me levelly in the eye, after first brushing hair out of her face. She turned back to the window leaving me no closer to extra evidence other than that she was still resigned. I got the vibe she'd reveal nothing, talking would get me nowhere, and if I pressed further I'd face her wrath. And I really didn't want to push her into disliking me anymore than she clearly did already simply by being the ringleader of the group taking her back to the one place she evidently feared. So, I simply decided to leave her be and returned to the front of the plane.

We eventually returned to the Academy gates, the escapees not having made another attempt at running. We were allowed through into the grounds of the high school which resembled a university in its appearance, layout, and structural style. Set in backwoods Montana the elaborate, high peaked and almost churchlike architecture contrasted oddly with the natural surroundings it just barely seemed to keep at bay. The two were headed for the upper secondary school campus. An open quadrangle was the heart of the campus, with one side providing the location for the academic buildings, the opposite side housed the dhampir dormitories and the gym. At one end the Moroi dorms were situated and the administration for the entire secondary campus sat opposite.

I was heading them towards Kirova's office and would take them via the commons; it was the simplest, most direct path, which would also, since it was breakfast, alert everyone the pair were returned. I still wasn't sure if I wanted them to face the humiliation they would from taking this route; it somehow felt wrong to punish them for an action, though reckless and dangerous, they clearly felt they had needed to take.

"Hey, Comrade," was called from the voice that could only belong to Rose, as she fell into step beside me. She had evidently come up with a nickname for me already and it was one I wasn't sure I liked. The fact she had made me feel as though she'd changed her view of me, and from her it was a mark of respect, a sign you were in her good books. It had an affect on me because I wanted her respect, and, this was the part the scared me, her approval. Everyone else, however, would see the use of the word as a sign of disrespect. I saw it as a confusing mix of both, I had a feeling that using my title would be a sign she was pissed at you, and from what I had heard of her stubbornness and loathing of titles, it was near impossible to change her opinion of you. And I'd done it already. My turmoil had me avoiding looking at her and continuing to walk.