vingt-six

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

. . .

CHERS Maman et Papa,

It has been fairly unexciting lately at school, so I don't have a lot to say. Classes have been going fine and I think I'm even improving in Alchemy. Hopefully I'll be good enough to continue next year. Failing is no longer a worry, at least. Draco has been helping me outside of class and explaining things a little better, so I'm getting the hang of it.

Elijah wanted me to thank you for the normal newspaper. He's read it ten times already, I swear. I've never seen anyone so excited to read a paper and look at photos that don't move. I think whenever you're finished with them, you might have to keep sending them to him. Though I'm not sure if I want to feed his obsession...

I'm actually writing to you because I've come across another dilemma. It's similar to the last dilemma but also less of a dilemma. I'm not sure. I think that's the dilemma - I'm confused. You see, I've been spending a lot of time with Draco, both to study but also just to hang out. He's gotten a lot friendlier. Sometimes he'll snap about things, usually at other people, and he really doesn't like anything that reminds him of muggles, but he'll sit in the library without acting like it's torture. He listens to me more these days, isn't judging me constantly. And Howie, my ferret, likes him a lot. That's not my dilemma though. I like that, I'd never have a problem with that.

"Whatcha writing?" Enoch jumps suddenly as the voice of his Gryffindor friend startles him out of his thoughts. He looks up, eyes wide, at Philip and instinctively clutches the letter to his chest. Then he remembers it's written entirely in French, a language Philip doesn't know, and settles just slightly. But the gesture is enough to alight the curiosity in the brunet's eyes as he sits at the desk beside Enoch.

"Just a letter home. Keeping Maman and Papa up to date. Nothing exciting." He can feel the amusement bubbling up inside of Philip and he peers at him suspiciously, wondering what could be so amusing. The Gryffindor's lips are curled into a grin as he shakes his head.

"You're a terrible liar. You've never jumped like that before while writing home." Enoch feels his eyes grow wider against his will, caught. A joking pout breaks the grin, struggling against Philip's need to smile. "I thought we promised no secrets."

"It's really nothing, it's just... I have a problem. I go to Maman and Papa for problems."

"Try me."

Enoch's brow furrows, "What?"

"Try coming to me for your dilemma. If my advice is bollocks, ignore it." As he considers this, not an entirely horrible suggestion if it weren't for the subject matter, the Hufflepuff can't help but shuffle uncomfortably. Opening up to people that aren't his parents is something he's never done before. Well, not before this year; he's had to open up about his empathy, about his secret friendship with Draco. But he's still not comfortable with it. "Here, what if we trade secrets? I'll tell ya my most embarrassing story, then yours'll be nothing in comparison."