trois

CHAPTER THREE

.  .  .

WHEN ENOCH WAKES up, he experiences a moment of disorientation, forgetting where he is. His bedroom at home is silent, the way he likes it, but here he can hear the sounds of someone else's breathing. In fact, he can hear numerous people breathing. Along with this, he can feel their drowsy emotions already filling his sense, those these mimic his own—reluctance, tiredness. As he slowly opens his eyes, curious as to what is around him, he's greeted with an overload of yellow and black and he sighs. That's right. He's at Hogwarts. Not home. He sighs.

The other students are starting to get up, he notices as he glances around. There are a few enviously still asleep, but the majority are either lying in bed with expressions that seem to be questioning why they do this to themselves or up and dressed and ready to leave for breakfast. Reluctantly, Enoch makes himself a part of the latter group.

Uniforms provide a problem for the brunet. Never in his life has he had to wear one– oh wait, no, there was a time. For a year, after watching a movie, the idea of being in the Boys Scouts had really caught his fancy; for that year he'd worn a uniform. But that was years ago and he hasn't worn one since. So, immediately, he isn't used to the uncomfortable practicalness of it all; none is designed for style, instead designed to ensure no one stands out too much as everyone looks acceptably neat. But Enoch thinks he probably sticks out with his uneven tie that looks nothing like his housemates' and the awkwardness that he wears his wizarding robes with. Why must wizards insist on robes? Why can't they be like normal people and just wear normal clothes?

Once the ordeal of dressing is dealt with, the empath wanders out into the common room. Now not wanting to sleep, Enoch is able to take in the appearance of the house a little better: the first thing he notices is plants, lots and lots of plants. He doesn't even recognise most of the plants, other than that they're definitely magical. A portrait of Helga Hufflepuff is also nestled amongst the plants, a very pretty lady smiling from within her frame. She moves, a fact that might have frightened Enoch had he not already owned a photo of two primary school friends at home that move as well.

In the centre of the common room, however, stands Gee. She smiles when she sees him, walking over like she was waiting for him. Enoch doesn't believe that's possible—surely she has other friends she could go to breakfast with. But, as she greets him with a good morning and, "I've been waiting to you," Enoch finds it hard to deny.

So he just asks why. And the older girl laughs.

"Because, we're friends now. And I like to eat meals with my friends." She shrugs like it's no big deal but Enoch is touched she considered it. It makes him smile, just a little. The girl beckons and Enoch falls in step beside her, listening as she tells him about the dream she had. He only half-listens, still trying to wake completely before he's forced to face the world.