Coming to terms with the truth

Start from the beginning

Nerves were always getting the best of him these days.

He would plaster a smile on his face, one that tugged on his cheeks, the pull almost painful, and tell himself everything was fine.

He believed it for an hour or so.

Everyone had noticed the change in demeanour the once cheerful boy had, and no one knew what to do. So they let peter continue to spiral.

~~~~~~3 months after endgame~~~~~~

He knew it was true, yet he didn't want to believe it, even though the red and white faded lines on his wrists were enough proof, or the continuous voice in his head that screamed he wasn't good enough, he didn't want to come to term with the fact that he was depressed.

He was happy. Sure he had his moments, but they weren't enough to make him clinically depressed.

Were they?

Sure he used cutting as a method of release, a way to ease the void or even the swell of emotions that clouded over him from time to time, but that didn't mean he was depressed. He couldn't be depressed. Tony wouldn't want him to be depressed.

But Tony wasn't there.

But what if he was? What would he be saying now. What would he say if he saw all the scars and marks, what would he do? Would he be sad, disturbed, mad?

Peters Brain went into a frenzy, wondering about all the what ifs, but one thought prodded at him the most.

Would he be proud of you even now.

And peter couldn't help it when his body began to violently shake as his eyes watered, turning him red in the face, he couldn't help it when he pulled his legs closer to face and almost began choking on his sobs and tears. It was like Titan all over again. He could feel the pain, surging and coursing through his body. The pain of his limbs tearing themselves apart, whilst his body tried to hold himself together. He could almost feel Tony's jacket, and he could almost smell the scent of motor oil and vanilla that lingered on the man.

But he panicked more as he soon realised he would never be met with that comforting scent again, or the familiar words of 'its okay' from the person he trusted the most, and soon he was back on the battlefield. Tony's body in front of him as the arc reactor slowly flickered out. The sound of his mentors heart slowly coming to a stop as he took his last breath.

He sobbed and cried, thrashing about and not noticing a few members of the team enter his room. Most of them summoned by F.R.I.D.A.Y. All of them exchanged concerned glances, all of them had experienced panic attack's before in the past but none as violent as this, and it worried them all. Peter needed help, they could see that now.

So when pepper had come rushing in, enveloping the sobbing boy in a hug and whispering words of comfort as she ran a hand through his hair, the team were surprised. Pepper looked at them and sighed, whispering in a hushed tone, "Tony would do this whenever peter used to have a panic attack. It's the only way to bring him down."

So everyone waited, and after 10 minutes the boy had settled down and looked at the woman with his large chestnut eyes, confusion evident, "m'ster stark?"

Pepper froze, her eyes wide as her breath caught in her throat. She tried to swallow the lump as she realised peter was acknowledging her as Tony and not pepper. Not sure what to do, she sighed. Tears stinging in the corners of her eyes, "no peter, Tony's not here anymore"

"Oh"

That one word broke everyone's hearts, yet pepper continued to soothe peter, "it's okay now, I've got you peter, it's going to be okay" but something seemed to click in the boy, as his eyes widened, his face becoming stern and his head whipped around to meet the strawberry blonde. He looked at her almost panicked and then forcefully pushed away the woman, the force immediately knocking her off of the bed. She gasped as others went to her side, assisting her in getting up.